intel core i5 problem

laurene

Beta member
Hi all, I just installed the intel i5 and it is running idle at 60 celsius? Is this too high? another problem is I wanted to add some thermal paste to see if I could fix this problem and I cant get the heat sync off I followed the directions and it wont come off I am afraid if I use too much force I will break the motherboard. Any advice is appreciated!

idle at 60 C sounds pretty high.
by reading your post i have a feeling that you dont have any thermal paste on at this moment. if you are running the computer with no thermal paste, than thats why your cpu is so high in temp.

i dont understand that you have problem taking it off. you might have put the cooler on a wrong way, and thats also might explain your high temps.
you just have to reed the manual and try again.

idle at 60 C sounds pretty high.
by reading your post i have a feeling that you dont have any thermal paste on at this moment. if you are running the computer with no thermal paste, than thats why your cpu is so high in temp.

i dont understand that you have problem taking it off. you might have put the cooler on a wrong way, and thats also might explain your high temps.
you just have to reed the manual and try again.

Sorry, but that's not entirely accurate. 60C is actually normal for Intel CPUs with the OEM heatsinks. If the OP didn't have any TIM on the CPU, temps would actually be much, MUCH higher (80C plus). Intel CPUs don't throttle down to save themselves until after the 100C Mark (tested it myself on several i3's and i5s).

If you're using an OEM Intel heatsink, you generally have to twist the little tabs by rotating them in the direction of the arrows and then lift straight UP on the fan assembly.

One question I have BEFORE you try that however... when you put the heatsink on the CPU and pushed it in to lock it into place, was there a little pad (or series of pads) on the center of the heatsink that look like this? ImageShack® - Online Photo and Video Hosting

If so, then there's no need to remove the heatsink and try thermal paste. Those pads are doing their job just fine. If you want lower temps, then you need to buy an aftermarket heatsink and install it instead of the OEM unit. If you're not overclocking and you have a fairly well ventilated case, then there's nothing wrong with having the CPU idle at 60C. That's what the OEM heatsink is designed to do.

then tell me how can my core i7 be at 40 C at idle. +20C looks like alot if you ask me.
wait..... ahh, i remember now. the i5 comes with i smaler cooler then the i7. still the i7 should be a little higher in temps, but when thinking about the samller cooler it start to make sense.

Intel's newest revision heatsinks may indeed be smaller, but Intel (and AMD) have historically aimed for a 60C temp on their processors for the past few years. The middle school that I was the network admin for had 120 AMD Sempron units and they all idled at 53-60C. The new Dells we got in were C2Q's and they all hit 60C easily at idle from the start.

Folks get all bent out of shape over the CPUs hitting those temps. I've seen (and tested) several Intel and AMD chips that have hit 70C+ and never had an issue. Yes, you start to introduce problems like electromigration, but it really only goes into play if you overclock excessively and pay no attention to adequate cooling. :)

Back
Top Bottom