Installing Window in Western Digital HDD problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yexusbeliever

Baseband Member
Sorry that I usually only come here when I need help.

I reformat the western digital hdd. Now I am trying to install Window XP. I can not install it. It is not like Maxtor where I use some dos files to take me to where I can reformat the hdd at the same time then allow me to restart with easy Window XP installation after that.

Basically, can some one give me instruction on how to install Window XP in a primary Western Digital HDD?

how did you format the drive? Does the xp installer start? You can make xp setup delete and re-create partitions and then format them to ntfs, that is what I would do personally.

1) Stick the cd in

2) Check bios to make sure its booting off the cd drive before the hard drive

3) Let the setup load

4) use the option within windows xp setup to format the drive

5) enjoy windows

daappleby said:
how did you format the drive? Does the xp installer start? You can make xp setup delete and re-create partitions and then format them to ntfs, that is what I would do personally.

I did that, but somehow the xp setup did not delete everything else in the harddrive. It refuse to delete the whole partition since there were some files in there that needed for Window setup. Therefore I go to the Western Digital site to download a dos program that will configure the HDD. So it is use in a bootup disk. And the program it opens allow me to fully reformat the HDD.

Now After that I encounter the problem in which even I just putting in the Window CD will not work. Because you will probably know that usually whenever you install a Window OS, you will first install some hidden files then you have to restart to begin the true installation.

This problem is getting annoying. It is a few days now. I can not figure out how to begin to install this. All I need is for the HDD to recognize the CD and take me to the installation.

ok what you will need to do is actually delete all the partitions, then recreate them, if that doesn't work then you may have to call manufactuere and get their ideas on it.

I already deleted the partitions. That is where i encounter the problem afterwards. I use a dos program from WD site called Western Digital Data LifeGuard (something like that) to delete the partitions. Then after that I put in the Window CD and it does not work. There will only be a black screen with a setence saying that it does not find any OS.

Note: I already config the Bios to bootup CDrom first.

OH yea... I rather not call the manufacturer. I check their site and to receive support for just a little support will cost me $15.

you said primary hard drive for westerndigital, this is just an idea but if you have two harddrives you need to up plug one and you have to have the CD drive as a slave to the hard drive before it will even try the final half of the set up. Good luck I had this problem

What your experincing is very weird. This seems in no way a problem of western digital.

75-80% of my PC's use WD hard drives. I have never experinced what your having and I have also installed windows on alot of other WD hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom