Installing programs to 2nd (non-OS) hard drive confusion

iceyc0ld

In Runtime
When people say "install programs on a second drive" since this second drive without the OS doesn't have program files or any other default program install location, how exactly do you install a program on another drive? If I just say install to the root of F: then all the programs in there would have all their files mixed up and I'm sure stuff won't work.

When you install programs in Windows, registry keys are created, partially to address this issue. Some keys concern the logical location of the installation - i.e. if you install, say, Firefox, to your D:\ drive, a registry key will be created so that Windows knows where to look.
For example:
23ff6dddfbb537773f6ccdeb870eae09.png

And here, where in my case I've installed Steam to my D:\ drive.
60751ce458c268301dda69f23415d54a.png

Random thing - I now use Steam so much I have nothing else in that D:\Games\ folder :p

Ehh, so what do you recommend? o_O make a folder for the program or dump everything to the root of F:/ ?

I understood your explanation, but still don't know the best method or rather what people exactly do when installing programs to other drives.. it's not like they auto-create folders? Or do they? For example if I install Steam to the root of F:/ it won't create a "steam" folder or will it?

Personally I'd make a D:\Programs folder and install everything to that.

Now once I set the install path to D:\Programs will the insides of the program's folder install there or will it make it's own sub-folder automatically?

For example, I install program A to D:\Programs, will it install the contents of program A inside D:\ or will it automatically make a file called Program A and dump it's contents in there?

Hope I explained well.

It depends on the particular program but it usually makes its own folder.

Oh alright, thanks that's what I needed to know. But just in case I could make a folder with the name of that program sort of "imitating" the install of a usual C:/Program Files (x86)/ program install right?

If you want to, yes. If you really wanted to - since you can install it anywhere - you could nestle it deep in a D:\1\2\3\4\5\6\7\Programs\1\2\3\Programs folder

Back
Top Bottom