Installing New Windows 2003 DC in an Existing Windows 2000 Forest

solo

Solid State Member
New Windows 2003 DC in an Existing Windows 2000 Forest

Dear Sirs,

I have a windows 2000 server DC, the server system is too old now so i bought a new server and i want to install windows 2003 server and make it as my DC. i read something telling that i have to use the adprep tool before adding the windows 2003 to an existing 2000 forest, this adprep file i found it in the windows 2003 CD under I386 but i don't know should i run it? since i tried to double click on it also from the run window but it is opening the command prompt window and closing directly. so can anyone help in this please and i will appreciate it.

i am trying to Install a New Windows 2003 DC in an Existing Windows 2000 Forest so i executed adprep /forestprep on my existing windows 2000 DC and it showed an error which is attached with the log files.

Plz help ...

ADPrep Log File:

Adprep created the log file ADPrep.log under C:\WINNT\system32\debug\adprep\logs\20060212111050 directory.

Adprep copied file C:\I386\schema.ini from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT.

Adprep copied file C:\I386\sch14.ldf from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\I386\sch15.ldf from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\I386\sch16.ldf from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\I386\sch17.ldf from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\I386\sch18.ldf from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\I386\sch19.ldf from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\I386\sch20.ldf from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\I386\sch21.ldf from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\I386\sch22.ldf from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\I386\sch23.ldf from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\I386\sch24.ldf from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\I386\sch25.ldf from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\I386\sch26.ldf from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\I386\sch27.ldf from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\I386\sch28.ldf from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\I386\sch29.ldf from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\I386\sch30.ldf from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT\system32.

Adprep copied file C:\I386\dcpromo.cs_ from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT\system32\debug\adprep\data.

Adprep copied file C:\I386\409.cs_ from installation point to local machine under directory C:\WINNT\system32\debug\adprep\data.

Adprep successfully made the LDAP connection to the local domain controller DCMABROOK.

Adprep was about to call the following LDAP API. ldap_search_s(). The base entry to start the search is (null).

LDAP API ldap_search_s() finished, return code is 0x0

Adprep successfully retrieved information from the local directory service.

Adprep successfully initialized global variables.

[Status/Consequence]

Adprep is continuing.

ADPREP WARNING:

Before running adprep, all Windows 2000 domain controllers in the forest should be upgraded to Windows 2000 Service Pack 1 (SP1) with QFE 265089, or to Windows 2000 SP2 (or later).

QFE 265089 (included in Windows 2000 SP2 and later) is required to prevent potential domain controller corruption.

For more information about preparing your forest and domain see KB article Q331161 at http://support.microsoft.com.

[User Action]

If ALL your existing Windows 2000 domain controllers meet this requirement, type C and then press ENTER to continue. Otherwise, type any other key and press ENTER to quit.

Adprep was about to call the following LDAP API. ldap_search_s(). The base entry to start the search is CN=UID,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=mabrook,DC=com.

LDAP API ldap_search_s() finished, return code is 0x20

Adprep successfully determined whether Microsoft Windows Services for UNIX (SFU) is installed or not. If adprep detected SFU, adprep also verified that Microsoft hotfix Q293783 for SFU has been applied.

Adprep was unable to upgrade the schema on the schema master.

[Status/Consequence]

The schema will not be restored to its original state.

[User Action]

Check the Ldif.err log file in the C:\WINNT\system32\debug\adprep\logs\20060212111050 directory for detailed information.

Adprep was unable to update forest-wide information.

[Status/Consequence]

Adprep requires access to existing forest-wide information from the schema master in order to complete this operation.

[User Action]

Check the log file, Adprep.log, in the C:\WINNT\system32\debug\adprep\logs\20060212111050 directory for more information.

schupgr Log File:

Opened Connection to DCMABROOK

SSPI Bind succeeded

Found Naming Context DC=mabrook,DC=com

Found Naming Context CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=mabrook,DC=com

Found Naming Context CN=Configuration,DC=mabrook,DC=com

Current Schema Version is 13

Upgrading schema to version 30

ERROR: Failed to transfer the schema FSMO role: 52 (Unavailable).

If the error code is "Insufficient Rights", make sure you are logged in as a member of the schema admin group

I merged the threads since they were by the same person same subject etc...

OK...
the best thing to do...
there are two possibilities,
either, loose your exiating domain, IE, switch it off, build the new server and add all the existing machine accounts to the new server, i.e starting as a new domain.
(that's the easiest thing to do especially if its a small domain with only a few workstations.)

the second way is to do it *properly*.
the domain prep tool is only used when building a new forest.

so, don't worry about running that.
first build your windows 2003 server and add it to the domain as a member server.
then run the DC promo tool on the 2003 server box to add it as a backup domain controller, (actually with AD there isn't technically a backup domain controller, but it's essentially the same,).
so your main server has the five FSMO roles and the 2003 server just runs authentication on accounts.

with for the 2003 server to update, all domain information, now switch off the 200 server,

now transfer the five FSMO roles to the new server,

here's how...
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=324801
http://www.petri.co.il/transferring_fsmo_roles.htm

Back
Top Bottom