installing motherboards...

wol-va-rine

Fully Optimized
what is the disk for...? and when do you use it, do you initially boot up off the disk and then load the mobo drivers...? or can I just put it in and go if all my other components are set...?

I just ordered this today...

asus open box

and want to know if there is anything that I'll have to download to a cd to get it running...

No, once you're in your OS it usually contains maybe onboard drivers (sound, LAN, etc.) and some tweaking utilities. Nothing will be really necessary, and you can usually just download the drivers once you install Windows instead.

freestyler105 said:
No, once you're in your OS it usually contains maybe onboard drivers (sound, LAN, etc.) and some tweaking utilities. Nothing will be really necessary, and you can usually just download the drivers once you install Windows instead.

thanx...

One thing to add. Sometimes you might need your disc, for example, if windows doesnt recognise your NIC, then you need to install that driver to get on the internet. There are also utilities on the disc aswell, like asus probe, and BIOS updating software etc.

Raffaz said:
Sometimes you might need your disc, for example, if windows doesnt recognise your NIC, then you need to install that driver to get on the internet.
Yeah, exactly. That's what I meant by the onboard drivers. If the internet isn't working, just get it on there with a flash drive.

Good advice every one but something ya'll leaving out. Chipset drivers.
Find what chipset the board has and go to the chip set makers web site and get the current drivers. Mine is VIA so I get mine from the VIA web site. Your's may be SIS or Nvidia so finding out what chip set you have is important too.

One thing to note that i found out. The Nvidia SATA/IDE drivers are horrendous. Caused me lots of crashes with my drive. So my advice is dont use them , use the Microsoft ones. Even Nvidia warn against using them lol.

Anubis1980 said:
One thing to note that i found out. The Nvidia SATA/IDE drivers are horrendous. Caused me lots of crashes with my drive. So my advice is dont use them , use the Microsoft ones. Even Nvidia warn against using them lol.

lol its the same for teh 680 chipset. still warned not to use them. it makes the SATA drives come up as Mass storage devices so you always have that "Safely remove hardware" thingy by the clock.

Back
Top Bottom