installing linux on an old desktop

here_is_gone

In Runtime
I have a Compaq Presario 5190 desktop. It has an AMD processor (not sure what kind; doesn't list it under My Computer), 128 MB RAM, and a 12 GB hard drive. It runs Windows 98 (it says designed for Windows 98 on the computer). Can I install a recent version of Linux on this computer, or should I find an older version? Thanks.

you can install any linux you want on it, they all should work. linuxcd.org supplies any distrobution for a minimal fee. also due to the small size of the hdd i suggest one of the mini linuxes made just for old computers like yours that have minimal space. i just researched some and there is one called puppy linux that runs and boots entirely from ram. very small. i personaly preference is zenwalk linux(minislack). it is very nice, easy to use, also pretty small and only provides 1 app. per task. it is geared towards, internet, multimedia, and programming. i'm actually using it right now and i love it. anyway research a little on your own and choose. also, ubuntu is nice but not exactly small...

You could run live linux puppy, then within the distro, save it to your hard drive, it rund great on my 300Mhz processor, 128MB ram.

Once you download the ISO, you need to burn it to disc using nero or something that will burn images.

By the way, the computer I want to put Linux on isn't a primary desktop; I have a Dell with a 120 GB hard drive, so I don't really need a lot of space. Most Linux distros take up less than 5 GB, right?

Do you have to use Bittorrent to download an ISO? Or do I just click a link and it will download within my browser? If anybody can help me out and has AIM, my screen name is thatcoolrushguy

Back
Top Bottom