Installing Drivers???

Solid State Member
I have a Gateway with Windows XP Media Center installed.
I want to completely vaporize the Media Center OS and install a brand new
installation of Windows XP Home from a newly purchased full XP Home disk.
This way I get an OS without a lot of manufacturers garbage.

Will the new XP Home installation disk scan my computer and automatically
download necessary drivers or do I have to do that manually??

I've never done this before and have been studying/searching forums and
such. I think I understand everything, except where the new drivers will
come from. I will not be using the Gateway Recovery System.

Thanks>

well... xp has plug and play so for most things on xp u wont have driver issues. but u should try to download some anyway.

u can get drivers off softwarepatch.com or download.com or u will have to look for them.

But, will the XP Home installation disk scan my computer's hardware that
is presently installed and then automatically download and install the
required drivers?

Thanks. That's good news.

Then, I would go the Device Manager and it will tell me what drivers are
missing.

Is that correct??

Is this gateway a laptop or desktop computer?
If your just reformatting to put xp home on, then you just need to put the disk in, let it boot and follow the instructions, the only things to watch out for is 1 write down you INTERNET provider details so you can set up your INTERNET and email client, drivers for you sound card and graphics card (if required) have a antivrus ready to install and activate the windows firewall ASAP once installed you can reinstall your software if and when.
If you have any hardware issues, right click my computer,properties,hardware, device manager and see if you have any yellows, if so click on them to see whats missing (driver)
go to the manufactures website or google search for the driver, windows might even look and find it for you.

xp does have plug and play, but unfortunately it works like ehh... ehh.. lets just say it doesn't work that well.

You will need to install at least the network card, sound card and video card drivers. (or at least I've had to with all of the computers I've ever had)

Back
Top Bottom