Install Vista on HDD

NeciFiX

In Runtime
This sounds like a fairly easy process, but, no, it's not really in my situation. I have Windows Vista on my computer. I downloaded it from Windows Marketplace for speed since I'm leaving to New Mexico on Saturday and I'd like to get my new computer up and running before then. I do not have any discs to burn, I have a few 700 MB discs but when I open the file all the files expand to 5 GB or so. I do have a 4 GB flash drive, but, once the files expand on the flash drive during installation, it'll flood the flash drive. Am I correct?

So, I've made up my mind that I want to install Vista on my D:/ Drive BEFORE I take the drive out and put it in my new computer. So, the D: drive will have Vista pre-installed and then I can just boot up. Saves me time and energy. When I tried to do this before, it gave me an error, telling me that it couldn't create a "partition folder" or something. I had like 150 GB of free space at the time, so, I figured it was trying to install Vista on my default C:/ Drive instead of my D:/ Drive, since my C:/ Drive only has 8 GB of free space on it.

Is there a file or something I can edit to tell Vista to install on my D:/ Drive? Because, at this point, I'm not exactly sure and I'd rather not screw anything up.

Thank you, please help me to the best of your ability, you guys have helped me a lot in the past few days, but, if I can get this going, I won't be needing too much help for awhile... I hope!

NeciFiX

Just unplug your C drive while its installing on your D Drive.
I think you should be able to select where it installs though.

Not sure how to go about doing this. If you do get it to work you are gonna need to do a repair install on your new computer since Vista was installed on a different computer.

Ah, helps to read everything. As Cabbs said, your probably going to have to do a repair install.

Back
Top Bottom