Install problem.

twokie

Solid State Member
I have my girlfriend's computer to do a reformat, so i repartitioned, then formatted, all went well, i get to the XP install scree, it says 39 minutes remaining, about 30 seconds later I get a message something to the effect of, "Fatal Error: unable to read/install I/O device drivers" if i change the cd to a different cd drive it gives a message something to the effect of "disk dirty". I've tried copying the I386 folder to the hard drive, but for some reason I cannot explore the cd, I can do D: dir and it will show me what's there, but if i do D:\i386 it says bad command name, same issue when trying the alternate CD-rom drive. Any and all suggestions are appriciated. Thanks in advance.

is it a legitimate disc?
if so, you sould get it changed for free.
if you are using a copy, it is probably corrupted.
have you tried the disc in another p.c?

it's a legit windows XP cd. It boots from the CD to repartition and format the drive, it just wont install. it works in other drives, yes.

I JUST FOUND THIS MAYBE IT WILL HELP.

this a SATA drive?

And, does your motherboard have both an IDE and SATA controller?

If so, and you are connecting to the on-board SATA controller, you may need to set up the drive as a single disk RAID array.

A number of motherboards with on-board SATA interfaces have the SATA connected to a RAID controller. In order to get XP to install to, and boot from the drive, you need to first set up the drive as a single drive RAID array in BIOS setup.

Also:
You need to be installing XP SP1.
If you have the original version of XP, you will need to "slip-stream" SP1 onto a custom installation CD.
(I believe Microsoft has instructions posted on how to do this.)

At one point when the XP installer is loading, there is a prompt at the bottom of the screen to press a key to load an alternate mass storage driver.
You need to press the key, and load the driver for the SATA controller you are using.

HOW OLD IS YOUR UNIT?
READ THE LAST PARAGRAPH BELLOW ABOUT DEVICE DRIVERS IN WINDOWS XP.

The good news is that Windows XP brings to the PC world substantial support for a broad range of hardware, from everyday devices such as keyboards, mice, printers, monitors, and video, sound, and network cards to more exotic hardware fare such as IEEE 1394 (FireWire) controllers, flash storage readers such as CompactFlash and SmartMedia, and infrared devices. However, although this hardware support may be broad, it's not all that deep. Windows XP doesn't have built-in support for many older devices.

TAKEN FORM HERE.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/expert/mcfedries_03may12.mspx

It's almost an identical computer to yours. 2.26gz 512 ram geforce 4 intel mobo. It's made by HP, had windows on it prior to the format.

Is There A Partition On The Hard Drive That Could Be Causing The Problem? I.e Something That Hp Set Up.

Back
Top Bottom