install over a network

Status
Not open for further replies.

IBMan

Daemon Poster
Hi, what do i need to do to setup windows 2000 or xp over a network, if i have a computer in my basement with the I386 folder on the hard drive and a workstation upstairs, both connected by a 5 port 100 mbps hub, with working connections, what do i need to do to install windows on the computer upstairs with no upgrade, but a clean install

Win2kpatcher

Fully Optimized
Nothing really. So long as they can see each other on the network. Here at work I keep our "Windows XP Pro" CD contents on a network share which I install off of all the time. Simply browse to the network folder and start the setup and select "clean install". This will give you all the options when it reboots and brings you to the blue screen. This is assuming there is an OS already on the drive and you can access the other machine via the network with no problems.

Not sure if this is cause we are on a Domain and such, but I really dont see why it would be different.

IBMan

Daemon Poster
k cool, thanks, I'm on a workgroup(just 2 computers over a 5 port hub) I'll give it a shot this morning, (don't have to go to school til 9:30 instead of 8:00)

Status
Not open for further replies.