Injured HD

RET54

Beta member
Have an issue with a damaged WD2000 HD. A freind of a freind not knowing what they were doing broke two of the pins on the HD connection. The red 5v, and a black gnd. In trying to correct the problem he hard wired -soldered- a modular connector directly to the HD board. After this he reinstalled the HD on his computer. The HD powers up, but the p/c will not recognize the HD. This drive contains a lot of family pics which are ireplaceable. I brought the HD home, and tried connecting this HD from an external USB 2.0 enclosure to my computer. The HD spins, but its not recognizing the drive either..........I removed the circuit board, and checked for any hot spots, but it looks fine. I believe there is not much more to try at this point........ Any advice or input would be appreciated.......... Thanks :rolleyes:

It sounds like he screwed up the board while soldering, so you need a new board for the drive.

Yup. Get the model number of the drive's PC board and post some wanted to buy threads in different forums. I'm sure someone may have a dead WD2000 laying around. :D

In the event the new circuit board isn't the problem, and the same problem exists he can label this HD dead. Not unless he decides to spend $$ to retreive???

That really bites when one or two of those little connectors become broken, it happened to me before a long time ago...but i fixed them by using some wire cutters and snipping off the ends of two safety pins. i then soldered them to the base where they broke off.

It was time consumming but it worked..

-edit-

I was able to save the hd, and it's still in use today, although i use it as a slave drive now for music.

Back
Top Bottom