Increasing temps and dust gathering problems

NEED WOW NOW

Daemon Poster
Ok i dont no if all the fighting is finally done with but heres some things i have been noticing about my rig

Its been recently pretty cold up in NJ now and my CPU is now running at about 30-34 idle and not less
in the summer with the air conditioner on it would get to 27C
and i even checked the temps in the house and now there colder than with the air on before
im confused about this and just so u no i have been running pretty much the same stuff lately
could the dust b getting in the dumb fins of the CPU heat sink?
and is this the result of dust? :eek:

also i have been getting some noticeable dust in my comp too
so i wanted to no would it b worth it to get a few fan filters
i am also wondering wat would b better
a metal one like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811999214
or a spongy one like this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16800999361

and wat are ur cleaning methods with the compressed air

just really want to no if these are good and such
also i have been thinking about getting a second hard drive but dont no wat kind? any suggestions would b helpful Thanks

Maybe it's because you're running the heater in your house? But your idle temp are still normal. If you want to get it cleaned out, compressed air is the best thing. It will get between the heatsinks and then some. I think those mesh, sponge filters are useless. I would never consider getting those because you are restricting air flow even more.

As for the hard drive, this is my favorite:

Western Digital Caviar RE WD2500YS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136055

Big cache and big storage.

unless the temps are not over 50 idling your ok and you could take the processor of your mother board and get a vacuum and suck all the dust out.

Vacuum probably won't have the power to dislodge a lot of dust from components. You really need some kind of blowing device and then use the vacuum to suck up the airborne dust.

how about a really old vacum that i got that can suck and blow
will that work
also How much do the filters limit the airflow?
is it a lot or in the middle
cuz i dont really like the idea of having to spend some time spraying air in there when i could b doing something else

Oh no, don't use a regular old vaccuum like that unless you got some kind of attachment to it. My best advice: take your PC outside and use a compressed can of air. Blow everything out. It makes a huge difference.

I don't think it restricts a lot of air, but I guarantee you are getting some air restriction. Give it a try and see. They're pretty cheap so you're not wasting too much money on it. Then monitor your temps to see if it makes a difference. After cleaning the dust out, you should see the temp drop a bit.

Oh no, don't use a regular old vaccuum like that unless you got some kind of attachment to it.

its got a hose attachments :p
but ok i think ill try them i think next time i order something to make the shiping price worth it
ill try the metal and the sponge one

and thanks :)

wait! i might have an easier solution for you
at one time i was a salesman for Kirby vacume cleaners
and i learned a good deal
try and find a local kirby store and order some kirby vacume cleaner bags
they have 8 HEPA layers
and you can use 1 layer to catch all of the incomeing dust and debris
so why dont you get 2 bags each have 8 layers, and cut them open and make some patches that you can tape onto the inlets of the case and change them when you notice they are dirty
just a thought

i was thinking about that but isnt that like serious airflow resistance
its sorta like a coffee filter right?

not really, and no its not like a coffee filter
its not made of fiberglass
i dont think, how many fans do you have going in that are low to the ground?
that is where most of the dirt is.
so you could put it there and then have the other open freely

Back
Top Bottom