increase RAM capacity

gplpark92

BSOD
I know this might be off topic but I dont know where the memory section is..

I have a 3-year-old motherboard, using a P4 HT 3GHz Processor and 1GB DDR400 RAM. it says the max RAM is 3GB for DDR333, and 2GB for DDR400 :mad:

I want to increase my ram to 3GB ddr400, but it only accepts 2Gb ddr400 :(

is there a way I could increase that (in BIOS or something? software?).

And since my motherboard IS designed to handle 3GB from DDR333, it wouldnt be so hard to accept 3GB from DDR400, would it? (not that much diff from 333 to 400)

What if I just put in 3GB of DDR400 anyway. what would happen? would it explode :p ? or just not read the extra GB?

i'm using Windows Vista Ultimate 32-bit (RAM plays a huge factor in performance)

----My Motherboard----:
Gigabyte GA-8S648FXP-RZ

no because then theres more stuff going through the bus from faster memory. so like the ddr400 memory is putting more through the system and the little transistors or watever cant take it

and it will take 3gb, it just wont work :)

you cant increase it

that sucks!

i think it might be worth while to get a new motherboard!

(i found a new one already :D) - 4GB DDR400, 3.4+Ghz max P4 HT, AGP AND PCI-E slot Asus P4V800D-X Via PT880

^ i dont want to hafta get ALL new stuff, considering i just need more max ram

There's another thing you can try. After sticking in the 3GB of memory, you could enter the BIOS and manually set the DRAM speed to 400MHz. If it doesn't work, the worst that could happen is that it won't boot. If that happens, just reset the DRAM speed back to auto.

Atomic Rooster said:
There's another thing you can try. After sticking in the 3GB of memory, you could enter the BIOS and manually set the DRAM speed to 400MHz. If it doesn't work, the worst that could happen is that it won't boot. If that happens, just reset the DRAM speed back to auto.
oh, i'll try that then. but why didnt gigabyte configure it to do that originally? There has to be some downside (higher temp?)

if there is one i hope its minimal (it should be, considering there IS a configuration where ican have 3GB on my mobo)

gplpark92 said:
oh, i'll try that then. but why didnt gigabyte configure it to do that originally? There has to be some downside (higher temp?)

if there is one i hope its minimal (it should be, considering there IS a configuration where ican have 3GB on my mobo)

or just overclock the crap out of it while it's set at 333mhz, you may be able to get pretty close to 400mhz, hell, I'm running pc-133 at 160mhz atm on my other computer...

stranger things have happened...

Back
Top Bottom