inappropriate detecting new hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnewman176

Beta member
please help. I just got a new computer and installed Windows 98 SE. The problem is that the computer keeps saying that it is detecting new hardware, despite the fact that everything seems to be installed ok. Have 2 ethernet cards, but disabled the profile of one of them. No unidentified devices noted in "systems device." Ask the computer to install the drivers it's looking for, but no luck. Tried reinstalling all hardware drivers (modem, video, sound, etc), but still error. Hit cancel/escape, but the pop-up window just keeps coming back. Have to literally cancel it 10-20 times before it goes away. It will then pop-up at various times on its own. Don't know what to do. Please help as this is driving us nuts. Thanks.

hey

hey do u have windows xp and/or video card with capture capability? cuz i happened to me too.. i installed everything correctly but it keeps sayin needs driver for somethingg... well some video drivers need a separate capture driver.. for instance i had ati radeon wit vivo.. the regular driver was just for colors and i needed a separate capture driver for it... then the annoying yellow !!!! disapeared cuz it found drivers heheh hope this helps

Re: hey

thongsai said:
hey do u have windows xp and/or video card with capture capability? cuz i happened to me too.. i installed everything correctly but it keeps sayin needs driver for somethingg... well some video drivers need a separate capture driver.. for instance i had ati radeon wit vivo.. the regular driver was just for colors and i needed a separate capture driver for it... then the annoying yellow !!!! disapeared cuz it found drivers heheh hope this helps

thanks for the reply. I have windows 98. Have tried reinstalling all the drivers which came with the hardware (they are self-extracting for the most part. Cannot figure out what hardware it is looking at as all it says is "unknown hardware." Keeps happening and I don't know what to do.....

well i dunno all the specifics but you should (i always do) install an OS with a bare system; just 1 HDD FDD CDROM RAM and vid card. then after that is stable and ok add the nic and then do teh windows updates; then install expansion cards/other IDE/usb devices etc....
and since you just got a 'new computer' i assume you just built it- if youre using a new mobo amke sure you install all the drivers for it (all teh controllers and hubs yadda yadda). and make sure you install the correct version mobo drivers as most install cd's support more than 1 version.
if you dont have a mobo install cd then thats probably your problem.

got the computer through a dealer via ebay. they built it, installed the stuff (except zip drive and the new ethernet card). all I did was install the zip/ethernet, the os/drivers, and various software.....
what is a mobo?
thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom