in the market for a new video card, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

bomt697

In Runtime
am in the market for a new video card, am not too sure what to get. there are a few cards i been eyeing, heres the list: the ATI 9800xt, and the Nvidia 5950 Ultra. which one is the better buy, meaning drivers overclocking fps and stability?

x800 eh? sounds good to me, how come theres no one for the 5950? whats the diff, the technology or drivers or what?

The 5950 would do fine with any current game, most people are just biased towards PC hardware. You can get what you want, but you will get the best performance from ATI 95% of the time, though most of the time it's by a small margin.

The biggest difference you will see is maybe a few FPS in games that they benchmark the cards with. Although, you WILL be able to overclock a bit more with Nvidia cards, but you shouldn't have to worry about overclocking any of the current "high performance" cards for a while.

So the X800 will give you the best performance, second to that is the 9800 XT, then the 5950, and even a 9800 Pro or 9700 Pro is still more than enough for current games.

bomt697 said:
x800 eh? sounds good to me, how come theres no one for the 5950? whats the diff, the technology or drivers or what?

Although i try to defend nVidia to make it even with ATI fanatics, personaly, I think the FX series was a joke; What was suppose to be a responce and a challenge to the R300 turned out to either failed most of the time. You know how many series nVidia put up against the R300 (9700 Pro) and it's successors, R350/R360? From the FX 5200 to the 5900/5950 series.

nVidia will probably get better if their release of the 6800 turns out to be sucessful (thats if they release it).

Ummm, if you can wait about a month then all the new super-high end cards will be out. That's my plan...Gainward Geforce 6800 Ultra is where I'm heading come july. Or if you are and ATI guy and don't care about the Geforce's shader 3.0 support then wait also for the x800XT P.E. don't buy crap now it is just a waste of money...well, I guess the x800 pro. is OK but if you want the best you are gonna have to wait...also if you can afford the exta 100 bucks you should definately go with one of the cards I listed above insead of the ones out now. and the 5950 SUCKS compared to the x800 pro or the next gen cards. Anyway, I say wait.

well i got the ATI 9800XT for about 360 off ebay. i think i got a good deal, what u think?

thats only about $40 cheaper than an X800 Pro which would perform at least twice as fast as that video card, but all in all that is still a very nice video card and as of right now that is a good deal. You will definately see a hugh performance diffence between your current card and your new one. EYE CANDY!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom