In a pickle between these two... guidance requested!

Milkandrelish

Solid State Member
Hello everyone,

I'm stuck between these two computers which I'm purchasing from Dell and would like to know which one you guys would choose and why. Although I don't need a laptop, it would be a nice change and could be very useful.

So, here they are:

-Dell Inspiron E1505 Dual Core Laptop

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T5600 (1.83GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 667MHz FSB)

2GB DDR2 SDRAM at 667MHZ, 2 DIMM

256MB ATI MOBILITY™ RADEON® X1400 HyperMemory™

80GB 5400rpm SATA Hard Drive

85 WHr 9-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery (Upgraded from 6-cell)

Price: $1,017.75

-Dell Dimension E520 Desktop

Intel ® Core™2 Duo Processor E6400 (2.13GHz, 1066 FSB)

4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz- 4DIMMs

256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro

160GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cacheâ„¢

Dell A525 30 Watt 2.1 Stereo Speakers with Subwoofer

(I already have a very nice 20.1'' Dell Monitor)

Price: $1,011.75

Now, keeping in mind both of these are Windows Vista Capable, which one would you choose?

Thanks! :D

cileskot said:
i would go with the second one probably
I agree, when DX10 is released you can kick the Radeon out for a better card, 4GB ram is slightly overkill but unless you need mobility the desktop is far superior.

if you don't need a laptop then I don't see why you should get one. They are more expensive compared to desktops with the same performance and a lot harder to upgrade. I'd say go with the desktop, or then try to find some other desktop. That vid card won't get you far if u are gaming, and 4GB of ram might be something that you won't really need. Vista seems to be running fine with 2GB.

I'd say if you want mobility go with the laptop, if mobility isn't a priority then go with the desktop. Also the desktop would probably be a little bit more upgrade friendly and besides the laptop has one of those hypermemory cards (I have one and it's not very good, uses about 32MB on board and about 96MB system RAM so it's not all dedicated). I think that graphics wise the desktop might be a better choice, but you could probably customize the laptop and get a better one too if you wanted.

Back
Top Bottom