Implantable Medical Devices hacked

Status
Not open for further replies.

superdave1984

Repeat Offender
Now this is scary. I had no idea that this could be done, nor did I know that these devices carried your personal info on them. I thought they were just programmed to perform a task. Like a pacemaker would regulate the heartbeat. Seems I was wrong. Even a pacemaker now has your info on it. And it can be hacked. They can cause a denial of service (scary for many devices if they stop working) or grab your personal data.
On the bright side, it seems you have to be very close to the person to do it. They did not test from distances of more than a few centimeters, but I am guessing it could be done.
http://www.secure-medicine.org/icd-study/icd-study.pdf

Lol.. Imagine some guy in his class with an artificial leg. One of his classmates hacked his leg and made it go crazy. "Ahh, whats happening.. MAKE ITS STOP!!"

Hes squirming all of the ground and stuff :D

I honestly don't think that these things are going to be hooked up to the internet in the future. :)

it doesn't have to have internet to be hacked...i could walk into my local wal-mart and proceed to stop someones heart but just walking behind them....very scary

CREEPY! That is reminding of this book I had to study in Senior High School called The Life and Crimes of Harry Lavender by Marele Day. Rather interesting and enjoyable book.

Turns out that there is a crime lord that wishes to have his biography published before he dies. The author that was writing the book was given a computer as part of the payment. However there was a device inside the computer that caused the author's pacemaker from working.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom