I'm sure you have this!!

donetao

Banned
Hi I'm sure you have all this BS from MS, but here it is again.:angel:
I upgraded and I've already rolled back to W7. I guess W10 was OK. But I'm not ready to buy a new printer and there's just something I'm not liking about W10. I'm going to wait before upgrading my PC again. I have a year, so where's the big rush. I'm completely happy with W7. If I had W8.1, then maybe W10 would be more appealing. MS likes to keep us guessing. I guess when you're the big dog, you can do what ever you want. I have a image of W10, A USB and two DVD's . That should cover me in the future.:thumb:
Maybe this will answer some of your questions!!Windows 10 FAQ & Tips - Microsoft
PS Hey setishock! I'm in your corner friend. I don't want W10 on my PC at this time. I've been there and done that.
Gary!

Last edited:
I can summ up exactly what I don't like about windows 10... but it's not a short read...

to start with, there is a rumour that there are good and bad versions of windows, there aren't really, people just don't like change...

windows 3.1 was great. it was really easy to use, it had it's issues, but I guess if you had the know how you were time.
windows 95 was great, a quantum leap forward in the user interface.

windows 98 was great.
ME was the first billed as crap OS, and the reason for that was it did not receive developer love, lack of drivers, lack of testing meant blue screens aplenty, MS didn't really maintain it as such, it was an unloved child... was it bad? not really, it just wasn't "good", it was no significany improvement on windows 98 in either look feel or working.

windows 2000 depending on who you spoke to this was either great (because it was really stable) or terrible because as it was made as a mostly business OS there weren't really the drivers for it.

windows XP for my money was great.
but when it first came out it was terrible (depending on who you spoke to) those who didn't use windows 200 before it were not at all ready for it's features, (such as ring 0 security) no more direct hardware interfacing (otherwise known as my (music) keyboard, printer, joystick, modem, whatever card doesn't work any more...) so this OS must be crappy...

And then the virus outbreaks, so very many virus outbreaks. the world changed during XPs lifetime. what started as something that's run on a pentium 266 with 128Mb RAM would certainly not have ran on that machine after all the service pack releases!
XP is a pretty good starting place.

Anyway one feature that came windows XP as an addon was desktop search, and search indexing... I know people who loved this feature.

so along comes Vista, again, a pretty big leap forward in user interface, infact such a leap that people hated it with vitriol.

then came windows 7. but this time windows XP was so long in the tooth that most people were due new machines and didn't want to use it anyway. windows 7's layout buttons start menu etc was not too different from vista, but by then people had gotten used to it, and people loved it.

then there was the abortion that was windows 8... (and lets face it all windows 8.1 did was add a button on the desktop view to make it easier to get back to the start menu...

now I have a love hate relationship with windows 8.
I'm using it on a laptop right now, and it's horrible, it's clunky, it's difficult to use, I've no idea why i'd want start tiles to big (to select with my small mouse pointer), getting places on the start menu (along to other programs) uses a scroll bar (what sort of good menu UI needs a scroll bar?), as I scroll down a web page my mouse has apparently spent too long on the right side of the screen so windows pops up a menu option. frankly as far as operating systems go, it's horrible...

but then I have windows 8 on a surface clone, and it's good, not just good but really good, pulling the bars out is a switch rather than a move your mouse and wait, there is no scroll bar on the menu, it's all swiping the icons feel the perfect size for a poke with a finger. frankly as an OS it's great.

And then comes windows 10...
so what is it that bugs me so much about windows 10?

it's not that it's gone back to start menus, certainly I'd prefer a decent menu to a start screen (on a mouse driven laptop). it's a mixture of things I guess.

It's the search bar next to the start menu. just with XP I know people who will love this feature, but for me, it just takes up space where running program icons should go.
It's the pointless widgets in the start menu, really news is fine, but the news app is clunky, and dictating source feeds is something that I haven't looked into, (but expect it will not be intuitive.
it's scroll bars in the menu, (the menu that doesn't even extend to a good size and then says I'm small scroll this bar to see what you want... it's that it's a sad compromise between windows 7 and windows 8.

it's an evolutionary step backwards.

it's the interface that windows 8 should have been (so it is suitable for regular laptops and nice (non-touch devices), whilst windows 8.1 interface is what windows 10 should be, (all touch and swipe and futuristic) - now that touch screen monitors are much more affordable!

everything else is going to iron itself out, with programs support and drivers, just like it did for 7 and vista and xp before that (and every release ever made!). but that feeling that we had the future finger pointy star trek esq UI of the future replaced with a menu driven relic of the past just isn't going to go away...

and it's still capped with the problem of the OS trying to be all things to all devices.

I guess at least with windows 8 I had a device that it was great to use on.
now I'll have an OS that sucks on two devices.

probably, but that'd be a bit rude on a laptop that I was just using whilst at another persons house!

Back
Top Bottom