i'm having trouble with WMP hotkeys

bigdan

Daemon Poster
Sadly at work the only media software I can use is WMP. I need this to watch our trainings.

I frequently have to go back 5 seconds. I thought for the longest time this couldn't be done in WMP or that it was disabled at work. I just googled shortcuts again today and I was able to get them work for a bit. I could make the speed faster, I could rewind a few seconds etc etc. But then the rewind stopped working again. It seemed to make a difference where I clicked on the screen first, ie if the active selection was on the Play/Pause button etc then the hotkeys didnt work and otherwise they seemed to. Not sure. But either way I cant get that to work now.

Essentially I just want to be able to rewind 3-5 seconds at any point. Can this be done?

Maybe some auto update reset or changed the settings.

I suggest you contact the IT and ask them to replace that player on your computer. There are some freeware player out there 100 times better than this one.

As for rewinding accuracy, it depends on the codecs and their settings. Sometimes on the video too if the encoding does not allow accurate seeks. It might seem to not do anything paused but once you resume it does promptly, for example.

Also check the keyboard of it's a media keyboard. It might have buttons for that on it.

If you are open for trying other apps, see the spoiler:

Media Player Classic (MPC) and its variants, for example, allow this function and you can customize the length of the seeking (backwards or forward).

If you are authorized to install/use external apps on your computer, download the right MPC-HC from here (x64 AKA 64-bit or x86 AKA 32-bit): https://github.com/clsid2/mpc-hc/releases and run it. Put the in contents in a dedicated folder then run the app from within. It's ready to run without installation.

Ultimately, Windows Media Player probably doesn't do what you want it to do. It's just a basic player designed for very basic playback. If you want anything more than Very Basic, you'll need to look at other software.

Back
Top Bottom