Im crying here...

Half Evil

Golden Master
Im about to make a big decision. I need some help doing just so.

A little background...

I was saving my money for PURE car audio stuff. Now that i've realized my ears can get hurt, im a tad bit reluctant to sink any more money into it. Because with what I want out of it, im looking at a MINIUM of $300.

And because it already hurts my ears when I listen too it, I figure screw it, i've already put in $1300 (not a typo).

Hows about some computer stuff..

Here is my delema.

I have a pretty decent computer. Which I bought before I knew anything about computers. Its a Dell Dim 9100. P4, 3.0ghz, 1gb SdDdr2 Ram, 160gb hard drive, 7600GT KO. But mind you this is a DELL!

So my thinking is that, I get a new motherboard, because mine currently blows. And with that an external hard drive to back everything up on, and a new case. Swap everything.

So then ill be stuck with all that, only to have a cool looking case and new motherborad, where odds are good, wont make a damn difference on my computers performance.

So is it with the money? I don't have any components set out yet, but I will soon enough, once I get some opinions.

But then again, I do have $1,100 of spendable money in the bank. Though, I dont want to spend more then 600-700 of it just because I need gas money!

So either, do absoultly nothing, or upgrade the case and mobo, or go the whole nine yards with a new build. Who knows what the build would consist of. I have my sights set on Skt 939, just because of the price drops. Or Core 2 Duo because I could use my ram from this computer. But my problem with that is the timing is going to be so low to compared as whatever I get.

Ideas?

Actually, we've got some potential there. Keep the drive, and the GPU. The rest, I'll get back quickly.

Well, I failed to mention that I don't need a performance boost. I'm perfectly content with my computer.

I just want a custom built one. I want to be able to say yeah, I built that. I don't like owning the Dell, I want to use something I made. Thats understandable isn't it?

Edit-
And yes, I have a DVD drive and CD R/w drive. I would be buying a DVD R/w drive if I do something to my computer. And maybe even keep my cd r/w just for shits and giggles to have 3 :D

haha well your a moderator, and im a "member" SO, i guess i would go the whole 9 yards, i mean like you said ITS A DELL!! now adays you cant do s*** with a dell, my e510 (specs in sig) i cant do anything with, its only got 3pci slots, I MEAN COME ON!!!! anyway, yea i say get all new, upgrading a dell aint gonna do much for ya which im sure you know, the only problem with upgrading is that you get faster components for a board that is not designed for that fast of components, kinda like a mclarren on a gocart track ;), so yea get a new mobo, case use your ram, and graphics card cause thats a pretty good one, and have fun, then you can get like 512 and a crappy card for your dell, and use it for internet :) thats what i would do if i had that money,

haha although i would probably put that money into a good sound system for my jeep...lol

ArrizX said:
Well, I failed to mention that I don't need a performance boost. I'm perfectly content with my computer.

I just want a custom built one. I want to be able to say yeah, I built that. I don't like owning the Dell, I want to use something I made. Thats understandable isn't it?

Edit-
And yes, I have a DVD drive and CD R/w drive. I would be buying a DVD R/w drive if I do something to my computer. And maybe even keep my cd r/w just for shits and giggles to have 3 :D

haha well now i know that... its different, i say take out the goods from the dell, and get some older stuff for the dell, and when i say old i dont mean a 16mb graphics card and 256ram, i mean 512 and a decent graphics card, anything would be better than my radeon x500 ;) but main thing, just have fun...

EDIT: i still have yet to build my own, im 15 so that doesnt leave me with much money in thy pocket if you know what i mean, SO im stuck with dells for now...but hey when and if you decide to finish this i wanna see it

bullzi said:
haha well your a moderator, and im a "member" SO, i guess i would go the whole 9 yards, i mean like you said ITS A DELL!! now adays you cant do s*** with a dell, my e510 (specs in sig) i cant do anything with, its only got 3pci slots, I MEAN COME ON!!!! anyway, yea i say get all new, upgrading a dell aint gonna do much for ya which im sure you know, the only problem with upgrading is that you get faster components for a board that is not designed for that fast of components, kinda like a mclarren on a gocart track ;), so yea get a new mobo, case use your ram, and graphics card cause thats a pretty good one, and have fun, then you can get like 512 and a crappy card for your dell, and use it for internet :) thats what i would do if i had that money,

haha although i would probably put that money into a good sound system for my jeep...lol

Lol I have an entertainment line PC. It us upgradeable with 3 PCI slots, a PCI Ex slot, and some networking PC 10x slot or w/e it is.

Haha so I should go the whole nine yards just cause im a mod?

Nahh, but my moniter is 22'', so I can always say mine is bigger then yours (haha if you get that joke or not).

If I do go the whole nine yards for a new build, id sell this computer. So instead of moving things around to get it "custom in a sense" it'd just be smarter to go the whole way?

Ugh, im kinda confused as to how much money I wanna spend. Thats my whole issue here. Do I wanna spend the cash or not. Because this will drain my bank account quicky, and its during the school year, and im 16, so I cant work. Sad.

you could always upgrade to 2GB RAM... I upgraded mine to 1.5GB and added a new HDD over the summer and it runs way faster than when I got it. Only thing I need is a better graphics card but other than that it's pretty fast, I don't really have any problems with speed but I also don't do too much heavy stuff.

ArrizX said:
Lol I have an entertainment line PC. It us upgradeable with 3 PCI slots, a PCI Ex slot, and some networking PC 10x slot or w/e it is.

Haha so I should go the whole nine yards just cause im a mod?

Nahh, but my moniter is 22'', so I can always say mine is bigger then yours (haha if you get that joke or not).

If I do go the whole nine yards for a new build, id sell this computer. So instead of moving things around to get it "custom in a sense" it'd just be smarter to go the whole way?

Ugh, im kinda confused as to how much money I wanna spend. Thats my whole issue here. Do I wanna spend the cash or not. Because this will drain my bank account quicky, and its during the school year, and im 16, so I cant work. Sad.

lol, well no i dont say to go the whole nine yards just cause your a mod, just saying...

lol i guess i dont get it, but for shits and giggles i have a 15" !DELL! CRT i got for 5$ at a state surplus haha sad i know, but it works...

as for selling that pc, idk if it would be worth it, id keep that mother, and just use it for internet or somethin...

and yea school year UGH, i hear ya there...

haha wow i just looked a profiles, and i just noticed that teens are owning this forum, HELL YES!!

Back
Top Bottom