Im building my first computer - need some help

adderman500

Beta member
I've got a list of parts together that all seem good and as far as I can tell work together, but thats where you guys come in.
I really need expert opinions here on whether what I'm trying to build with these parts will work, or just burst into a horrible ball of flame :D I'm particularly unsure about cables, I have no idea what I do and dont need - im a complete rookie to this. Dont assume that I have any cables even if they seem obvious because I have literally no idea :p

Anyways, here the list;
Processor: Intel Core i5 3450 3.1GHz Socket 1155 6MB Quad-Core
RAM: G-Skill 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz Ripjaws Memory Module CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V (Two of those)
Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 560Ti OC 1GB GDDR5 Dual DVI Mini HDMI Out PCI-E Graphics
CD-Drve: Samsung SH-222BB 22x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black
Hard Drive: Seagate 2TB BARRACUDA 3.5" SATA-III Hard Drive - 7200RPM 64MB Cache
Monitor: BenQ G2222HDL 21.5" LED LCD DVI Monitor
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H Socket 1155 VGA DVI HDMI 7.1 Channel Audio ATX Motherboard
Sound Card: Included in the motherboard
Case: Coolermaster Elite 330 Case With Coolermaster eXtreme Power 500W PSU
Cooling Unit: Included in the case
PSU: Included in the case
Keyboard & Mouse: Logitech MK120 Wired Slim Keyboard and Optical Mouse

Well thats about it, I need to be able to connect to the internet and I have ethernet cables for that. (It will mainly be used as a gaming computer btw) I already have a plug socket ethernet system installed on my router so this is the best idea imo, but any other suggestions are much welcomed.

Thanks in advance for any answers or help I get!

Last note: I have a friend with a budget of about £100 more than me, is there any way I could improve this with that kind of money?

I'm particularly unsure about cables, I have no idea what I do and dont need - im a complete rookie to this. Dont assume that I have any cables even if they seem obvious because I have literally no idea :p
in no expert certainly, but you should get most of the cables you need with their respective pieces of hardware...and if you find out they dont, all cables are easy to get hold of :)

check that your monitor and graphics card are connectible. as in if the monitor is HDMI only, check the graphics card has an HDMI output, if the monitor has no VGA,check the graphics card isnt VGA only ect ect.
the normal connections are HDMI,VGA,or DVI :)

Thanks a lot, i have already checked the thing with the monitor and stuff. I forgot to mention at the top that my budget is 675 UK pounds, 700 at a maximum.

yeah, its obvious but im looking at graphics cards for myself at the moment and didnt notice for quite some time that not all have VGA connections anymore :( so just thought i'd say :p
im about to spend £600 on a new PC myself :)

Yeah VGA is fading for sure - its weird though because in many cases the resolution is not affected. HDMI screens are loads more expensive too. Good luck with finding parts for your own one!

Just saw this, but I will chime in.

First off, CoolerMaster PSU's are not known for being reliable. Each one I bothered to use died within a month. Bone up and get a case w/o a PSU and buy a solid PSU to go in it. Look at Antec and Corsair.

Most GFX cards come with a DVI to VGA adapter, but HDMI is becoming the standard. I have a GTX560 Ti and am very happy with it, plays BF3 super smooth.

If you can swing it, go with a small drive as your OS drive and a second drive for data. Preferably you would want a solid state drive (SSD) as your OS drive. a 120GB will hold Windows and your main programs/games. The second drive should hold secondary programs and games, as well as your data. We have a couple of tutorials here on TF to help you set it up the right way.

Remember this... you can always upgrade later. Do what you can now and add to it as you can.

;)

Back
Top Bottom