i'm at my wits end. ~sigh~

Status
Not open for further replies.

joshd

Fully Optimized
OK, some people may remember a thread about my belkin wireless router dropping out all the time, and needing resetting. after further investigation, i discovered that it only does it when there is more than one person on the wireless network.

in an attempt to fix this, i tried to setup a static IP network. so, i disabled the DHCP server, and put the IP settings on the computer in as follows:

IP: 192.168.2.2
subnet: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 192.168.2.1

DNS xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
secondary DNS: xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx (i'm not sure if i should say these?)

and my computer connected straight away, and i had internet access, after i put the DNS addresses in.

i did exactly the same thing to my brother's computer, and he can connect straight away, but NO internet access. FF just says the server has timed out. it says the same thing with his firewall disabled.

i have internet access whether it is just me, or me and him connected, he never has access whether on his own, or with me connected.

GRRR they are set up the same! why cant he connect? i will put it back on DHCP and automatic for now, but that will mean more resetting all the time... :(

this network i has been nothing but trouble from day one, and i am starting to think that it is the router itself. we cant return the router, as it was given to us by a friend whose buisness bought a new one that could handle more stuff or something.

i just dont know what to do now to try and fix it... any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

If it's only him, check that his wireless card can actually support whatever type of encryption you are using.

Is this router a 802.11g device? What's the spec on your brother's wireless adapter?

OK, i noticed something today. sometimes when you reset it, it does not come back on, you have to leave it off for ~15 seconds, and then turn it back on, otherwise it just sits there would no lights on.

i know they get quite hot, but it couldn't POSSIBLY be to do with overheating could it? my brother said the lights were already off when he went to reset it.

Re:

Hello,

What IP did you assign to your Bro's PC?

Have you tried assigning different IPs?

Also, try doing a Ping test. Open up CMD and Ping a website by typing: Ping www.google.com for example.

See if you get any replies.

yes... we were both different ones...

he was 192.168.2.3

ping when it has no internet connectivity?

joshd said:
yes... we were both different ones...

he was 192.168.2.3

ping when it has no internet connectivity?

:) Yep. Try it if your brother's PC is connected to the wireless router (the LAN), and even if you think or don't think that your brother's PC can get through to the WAN.

Also, maybe try assigning a different IP, like 192.168.2.50 .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom