illegal Immigrants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sheepykins

Daemon Poster
Hey, COMPLETELY off topic i know, but i need some advice and noone around me seems to care or maybe im just taking this too seriouly.

I have a dilemma: my mother and one of my friends girlfriends works in a cafe which serves english food in the day, and indian food at night.

problem is, my mum says the indian guys who work there (quite a few, chef and waiters) live together and one of them is on a student visa but doesnt learn and his college doesnt exist and before this they were in Glasglow and London doing the same thing, and they get paid terribly.

Essentially, this sounds like they dont actually have work permits for the UK.

Now, i know what some of you may be thinking - racist! and you're wrong, i just have a healthy respect for the law. I've met these guys, they've made me food and i've shaken hands with them and i bear them no malice and i respect the place they're coming from - a country that has less opportunities than mine.

the problem is that, as illegal workers the place could be shut down at any time, its exploitation on the part of the guy running the place, they're not paying any taxes from the hours they work and currently over 2 million people in my tiny country could do with the work.

the people i talk to dont really seem to care, as they have jobs that they might not neccesarily want but some people out there dont have qualifications and opportunities like us so they may need that income, single mothers etc.

what should I do? now i work for the government - i have a responsibility to it as well. my mum could lose her job, but then they could at ANY time.

im just torn. its wrong and right at the same time lol

Hey, COMPLETELY off topic i know, but i need some advice and noone around me seems to care or maybe im just taking this too seriouly.

I have a dilemma: my mother and one of my friends girlfriends works in a cafe which serves english food in the day, and indian food at night.

problem is, my mum says the indian guys who work there (quite a few, chef and waiters) live together and one of them is on a student visa but doesnt learn and his college doesnt exist and before this they were in Glasglow and London doing the same thing, and they get paid terribly.

Essentially, this sounds like they dont actually have work permits for the UK.

Now, i know what some of you may be thinking - racist! and you're wrong, i just have a healthy respect for the law. I've met these guys, they've made me food and i've shaken hands with them and i bear them no malice and i respect the place they're coming from - a country that has less opportunities than mine.

the problem is that, as illegal workers the place could be shut down at any time, its exploitation on the part of the guy running the place, they're not paying any taxes from the hours they work and currently over 2 million people in my tiny country could do with the work.

the people i talk to dont really seem to care, as they have jobs that they might not neccesarily want but some people out there dont have qualifications and opportunities like us so they may need that income, single mothers etc.

what should I do? now i work for the government - i have a responsibility to it as well. my mum could lose her job, but then they could at ANY time.

im just torn. its wrong and right at the same time lol

Personally I don't think your being rascist about the situation at all, however since they have temporary visa's.
Is it possible to get that relooked at to the let them have more time ?
The way I see it from what you say in your post, "they are not" causing very little problems in that business or where they live at but when you become broke or homeless and you have no where to turn to for help, food or shelter...
It would take all of your sane humanity not to loose it and just give up and kill someone or destroy something.

Since they have very little time to act speak with your citys government and address the concern directly.
Someway or somehow they might be alright if they keep the visas and get some sort of employment soon.
If there is any voluntary place that needs free workers for now that is their best bet until they can bounce back from all of this.

Currently, there are only 3 ways you can legally work in this country.
1. they have active applications for asylum and conversations with my mother lead me to believe this is not the case.
2. they are on a student visa, one of them is however there are several "institutions" set up to give immigrants student visas however there are no courses for them to attend, breach of the visa
3. you get in on your own merits and to do that you need professional qualifications and enough money to show you can support yourself for the 6 month term.

these guys have been here for over 6 months, they come from third world countries and homes that dont have plumbing and they frequently send cash they make home.

I dont believe any of them is here under any of those purposes

- my torn problem is that if i remain true to my country, it will probably put my mother out of a job and the few people who do work there who are allowed

I'd have them checked out. Why should someone that isn't in a country legally be taking work away from someone that is in the country legally (given someone actually wants this job)? Also, maybe you can sit down with them, tell them what they're doing is illegal, and if they don't find a way to fix it, you'll report them..

i doubt they'll be able to stay, being here illegally for over 6 months kind of goes against your application.

i also dont think its fair because there are genuine people in countries who deserve and want asylum and they have to go through the application process and get herded into camps until they have an answer or get sent home

Unless you don't like their food, and say you won't tell unless they give you free food. :p

But, look at that all the big companies that outsource to other countries...

Right I am sorry but this thread topic has too much chance of going south, I will now be closing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom