if you're a gamer...

wol-va-rine

Fully Optimized
what headphones/headset do you use...?

I had a RAZER Barracuda that I thought was the second coming, until they broke 5 days after I got them, I bought them used for $45 because they were sans mic so obviously no RMA, I tried to open them up and see if I could fix them but there are no schematics on teh web and RAZER customer support for them is practically non existent, though I did get an encouraging email after vowing to never again buy a RAZER product even though I was thinking of buying the RAZER Barracuda AC-1 sound card, the dude that answered my email said he would send me a dongle

hddaiconverterbig.jpg

even though that may or may not even be the problem (to be honest I actually explicitly stated that I thought that was absolutely the problem), we'll see how that goes and if I actually receive it...

I am now using my Sennheiser HD 201s to game with until I get something better, they actually aren't that bad and for $20-$25 shipped at most places online, they are better than a lot of "gaming headsets" even though there is no mic (I don't even think I can use the mic in S.T.A.L.K.E.R. anyway), the directional positioning of sound, the MOST important factor in headphones/headsets for gaming, is actually pretty good though the lack of bass is a huge step down from the Barracudas, those things vibrated when there were close explosions, it was sweet and pretty realistic imo...

I have heard that the best way to go is to get a decent set of headphones and just skip the "gaming headsets" altogether, most of them have pretty poor mics and are basically inferior and gimmicky headphones marketed to gamers with flashy LEDs (the Barracudas LEDs lit up their logo in a few places and looked pretty cool), the most recommended set is the Audio Technica AD900, but these things are ~$200 BNIB, no way am I gonna spend that much, but after some research JVC has a line of headphones that are pretty comparable to the more expensive Audio Technica line and even follow the same numbering system, the "poor man's" Audio Technica if you will...

the JVC HA RX700 (best for music) is $35 shipped at the 'egg and the JVC HA RX900 (good for music as well but also more suited for gaming as it has a bigger sound stage) is $60 shipped at said 'egg, I will probably be picking up the JVC HA RX900s and will let everyone know how they are for gaming if y'all want, I hear that the bass is there, but isn't the same vibrating, earth shattering bass that the RAZERs put out, this could end up being a great deal for us gamers, you can't beat those prices for a good set of headphones...

audiophiles on many sites have been raving about these for their price to performance ratio and since I'm no audiophile so I probably won't be able to tell the difference between these and the more expensive Audio Technicas, be warned though, you do have to burn them in because they sound like crap right out of the box, but most headphones need to be burned in anyway, I think what I'll do is set up a folder with all kinds of music in it and have it play in WMP while I'm at work for a day or two (that's 24 hours and some people have stated that they noticed a huge difference after as little as 10 hours of "burn in"...

my honest advice though would be to stay away from the RAZER Barracuda HP-1 headset, the mic sucks and the build quality if absolutely horrid, I saw this when I opened them up, how a company can charge an arm and a leg (~$120) for such a shoddily put together product and have virtually no tech support to speak of is beyond me, now if you can get them free or at a bargain basement price and it wouldn't really put you out much then I would actually recommend the HP-1s, the sound, even without pairing it with the AC-1 (which is recommended) is pretty amazing, but be warned, if it breaks there are no replacement parts available, they don't even sell the dongle separately which you need to connect to a regular analog sound jack, if you pair the HP-1 headset and AC-1 sound card there is a DVI-looking connector (though I MAY get lucky and have one sent to me)...

but back to the question, what headset/headphones do you use...? and do any of you play S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC online and what is your username...?

here's a shameless plug for one of my many S.T.A.L.K.E.R. death match videos, I gotta get my views up...

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. SoC death match at the pool

:D

I use the Gamecom 777 headset. I love it. No complaints and the microphone is amazing. No complaints on the sound quality.

I use Bose headphones. I think they sound awesome for music and games. Although, I haven't actually tried gaming headsets....now I wonder if I should get some.

I use Bose headphones. I think they sound awesome for music and games. Although, I haven't actually tried gaming headsets....now I wonder if I should get some.

from what I've read from a few audiophile sites you are better off sticking with your good set of regular headphones (the Bose)...

Personally I love Turtle Beach Ear Forces. X1s for $50, X31s for $100, or X41s for $200... The X41s sound absolutely amazing (7.1 surround sound) but I can't get myself to buy a pair for myself :p

The X1s are excellent sound quality for $50, better than other headsets I've owned in the past, they're developed for XBOX360, but its actually just a PC headset with adapters to work for Xbox360, ignoring the adapters they're just regular PC headsets.

I owned a Turtle Beach HPA2 headset for about 6 months, amazing sound quality for the price. Only reasons I got rid of it is because a friend of mine needed a new headset, so I sold it to him, and I got a good deal on Plantronics Gamecom 777 Headset and the sound was great on these as well, I also like how you can tuck the mic up and away when not using it.

I owned a Turtle Beach HPA2 headset for about 6 months, amazing sound quality for the price. Only reasons I got rid of it is because a friend of mine needed a new headset, so I sold it to him, and I got a good deal on Plantronics Gamecom 777 Headset and the sound was great on these as well, I also like how you can tuck the mic up and away when not using it.

Yeah I use exclusively Turtle Beach now mostly because of their support for both XBOX360 and PC, so I can just move a wire and use the same headset for both, but even ignoring the extra functionality of that, the sound quality is great for the price.

received said dongle in the mail today, this WAS the problem and they work fine now, just think of how many disgruntled customers they could've satisfied with just sending one of these out to for free like they did with me, makes you wonder what kind of business sense the company heads have...

Back
Top Bottom