If I wanted 2 routers...

Status
Not open for further replies.

M4A1

Daemon Poster
What would I do if I wanted to install 2 routers. I have one upstairs, connected to a PC. When I go downstairs, I don't get a stable connection. What can I do/

bradybnmci said:
you would need 2 isp drops at your house. 2 routers with one isp drop will not work.

You can always daisy chain routers, but that is pointless at home.

I run two routers off a residential line with no problems. It all depends on the ISP. Generally, they only let you have one IP however. But I can have at least 4 IP's :)

M4A1 said:
What would I do if I wanted to install 2 routers. I have one upstairs, connected to a PC. When I go downstairs, I don't get a stable connection. What can I do/

If you are referring to a wireless router upstairs then I would recommend getting a range extender for the lower portion of your house. It's essentially a wireless repeater. Or, a wireless bridge with a wireless access point attached to it in the lower portion of the house. Either way you will get similar results without having to run a cable from the first wireless router.

bradybnmci said:
you would need 2 isp drops at your house. 2 routers with one isp drop will not work.

This WOULD be the case if someone wanted to connect each router to a different broadband modem... But if you connect the routers together, and disable DHCP on one, it will work fine. It would be similar to connecting a switch to a router... it would working fine. I had a setup like this when I was at my parents house. Cause I had a few PC's in my room, and my PS2... wasn't going to throw down on wireless for all of them, and I already had a router, no need to run 3 cables when I could do 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom