IE 8 problem

oldflyingfarmer

Solid State Member
I am using IE 8 on a new computer running Vista Premium on a 64 bit Dual core processor. I am on dsl in a rural setting.
My problem is when I click on a link to open in a new tab, about 75% of the time it just goes nowhere. I do not even get a no connection error. It just sits still waiting for the site. No matter what site. This happens occasionally when I open a new page also.
I appreciate any help. This gets frustrating.

I am using IE 8 on a new computer running Vista Premium on a 64 bit Dual core processor. I am on dsl in a rural setting.
My problem is when I click on a link to open in a new tab, about 75% of the time it just goes nowhere. I do not even get a no connection error. It just sits still waiting for the site. No matter what site. This happens occasionally when I open a new page also.
I appreciate any help. This gets frustrating.

Try not to click to open in a new tab, just normally click like a normal link.
Sometimes links were made to be open by just normally clicking but they automatically open in a new tab, if you click to open a new tab nothing will happen.
Is there a reason you are using Internet Explorer?
Mozilla Firefox is faster, more secure, and just better overall, and I think most here will agree.:)

Which version are of IE you using, 64-bit or 32-bit? I've found the 64-bit version can be kind of goofy at times.

If you click Start > All Programs, there should be two listings for IE, Internet Explorer and Internet Explorer (64-bit). The one with out the (64-bit) after it is the standard 32-bit version.

The quick solution is to switch to FireFox and never look back. IE8 is full of nothing but problems. Hence, I've stuck with IE7 for when I do windows updating.

It won't hurt. I've also found that the 32-bit version is much better. I don't know what you're opening but I've seen a situation where 2 people were logging in to the same computer and trying to go to the same website. The website was only working on one of their usernames. As it turned out (after several days of experimenting) one had the 32 bit shortcut on their desktop and one had the 64 bit shortcut. The 32 bit was the one that was working. After they both started using the 32 bit there was no more trouble. You also have to watch out for things like java and flash as they have different downloads for the 64-bit browser than the 'normal' download for the 32 bit type.

Back
Top Bottom