Ideas for Halloween display?

I need opinions - If I were to redo the spider, what should I do differently to make it more realistic? Obviously, the legs will be redone so they don't flop around like noodles, but what else?

The reason I ask is because I'm trying to justify a complete rebuild instead of just modifying the legs.

Tbh I'd just modify the legs. And all you really need to to is tie them into the tree also so that there is a definite bend at the knee.

I like the simplicity of you silly string shooter. Not sure I really understand what's going on with it though.
I mean, how does the motor stop when it reaches the limits of the bolt movement? And where is the motion activated (I assume PIR sensor from a security light? Coming into it?)

You were saying the other day (in random chit chat) about getting started with Micro processors, this might be a perfect project for that.
You can have a chip sort out the brightness of the eyes of the spider, actuate loads of motors. And you could have just used an rc servo to press the top of the can to release the string.

Tbh I'd just modify the legs. And all you really need to to is tie them into the tree also so that there is a definite bend at the knee.

Okay, thanks. I was going to try hanging them last year, but it proved extremely difficult getting any type of line into the tree. Hopefully I'll have better luck this year. If not, I could always try firing the rope from an air cannon...

I like the simplicity of you silly string shooter.

Thanks. It probably won't be very simple by the time I'm finished with it though.

Not sure I really understand what's going on with it though.I mean, how does the motor stop when it reaches the limits of the bolt movement?

It hits a switch, which disables power to the motor.

And where is the motion activated (I assume PIR sensor from a security light? Coming into it?)

I haven't actually finished this part yet, which is why you can see me flipping a switch on the surge protector in the first video. I had an old security light set aside for this project, but it turns out the motion sensor is malfunctioning, so I'm going to have to buy a new one. I may end up just hacking up some old toy instead. It depends on how much the security lights cost.

You were saying the other day (in random chit chat) about getting started with Micro processors, this might be a perfect project for that.
You can have a chip sort out the brightness of the eyes of the spider, actuate loads of motors. And you could have just used an rc servo to press the top of the can to release the string.

I don't think an rc servo (or at least one I could afford) would be nearly strong enough for the silly string can. I measured the force with a scale, and it turned out to require 6-8 pounds, depending on how straight I can get the nozzle to go down.

Currently, the spider only has duct tape eyes. I thought about putting some red LEDs in last year, but ended up deciding against it because I thought it'd look bad.

EDIT: I just walked by the light and it turned on. Then after about 20 seconds, it turned back off. I guess it works after all, but just has a long (10+ minute) start up period. Yay! Now I need to make an edge-triggered monostable 555 circuit so it doesn't empty the can in one go. I guess I'll work on that later today.

Back
Top Bottom