Ide To Sata

ASSEMBLER

In Runtime
iam running 2 h/ds on ide and i am thinking of switching to sata as my mobo supports sata and i have been looking at the ide to sata adapters.
sata is supposed to be 1/3rd faster than ide.would this be worth diong and can i run one drive on sata and my slave one ide .Thanks for any advice

I would recommend it if you need faster read times on your master HDD... It is a great way to speed up data transfer.

Suggestion: Another thing you could do if you don't have any more slots on your motherboard for your harddrives is to buy an pci adapter card for SATA or RAID. These adapter cards can be very handy to use, escpecially for future expansion and portability.

Don't waste your money...

Don't blow your money on those adaptors. The drive will only go as fast as it it rated. Sata drives are rated at 150 while ata drives top out at 133. So even thought the data channel is quicker if you connect a 133 drive to it it will only got at what the drive is rated at.
Oh by the way most drives do not run at maximum speed all the time. The top speed is at best a burst data transfer. Spend the money on a sata drive instead of a convertor.

Thanks guys for all the advice,i was thinking about the adapters for the time being but you have put me off now,so i think ill take a look at the sata drives themselves and price things up
Thanks again
by the way is it possible just to run the master on sata and slave on ide so i dont have to buy 2 drives and leads at the same time otherwise it going to be costly to change both drives.

Yep you could. if you wanted too( i don't know why though) you could aslo put master as the IDE and slave as the SATA.

ASSEMBLER said:
Thanks guys for all the advice,i was thinking about the adapters for the time being but you have put me off now,so i think ill take a look at the sata drives themselves and price things up
Thanks again
by the way is it possible just to run the master on sata and slave on ide so i dont have to buy 2 drives and leads at the same time otherwise it going to be costly to change both drives.

Well, there is no master/slave for the SATA architecture. It's just one drive per data cable. So your SATA would be one drive, and the IDE one would be a second drive set on master.

I totally agree. Although, your HDD may come with drivers. Windows may not install corectly if you don't have drivers.

Oh and, a Samsung SATA drive would work.

If people hate Samsung because their old drive died, they got better. The HDD controller chip is from JVC

Back
Top Bottom