IDE drive - how to pull files off of

pnolans

Solid State Member
I have an IDE drive (80gb Maxtor) that I'm trying to spin up and pull some files off of. Regrettably, I haven't had a system with an IDE interface for a long time.
I bought a gadget from Amazon (see below).... when I plug it in, the drive doesn't seem to even power on. I read somewhere, and can't find where, that there have
been some issues with the power leads being wrong. Shot in the dark here, but I'm trying to exhaust every option before I give up and tell my friend that I can't
get his files off.

Thanks in advance for any help. If the embedded image is not ok, please delete the post, moderator.

Pat

USB 3.0 to IDE/SATA Hard Drive Adapter, External Converter for 2.5" 3.5" IDE SATA HDD SSD DVD Optical Drive, Universal Hard Drive Reader with 12V 2A Power Supply Support 6TB

1655034208985.png

Looking at the pics of this adaptor on amazon, it appears as if you need all the connections plugged in to work.
https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-FIDE...19bc6b15fc3c3&language=en_US&ref_=as_li_ss_tl

If you can't finagle it to work, maybe look at an external enclosure?
https://www.amazon.com/X-MEDIA-XM-E...&sprefix=IDE+external+,electronics,550&sr=1-5

BUT there might be an issue with the drive itself that it won't power on and nothing you do will spin it up. HHD's (even IDE) are pretty simple to make work as long as they aren't borked. IDE drive were known for being kinda fragile if dropped. I know I have fubared more than one myself doing that.

>BUT there might be an issue with the drive itself that it won't power on and nothing you do will spin it up. HHD's (even IDE) are pretty simple to make work >as long as they aren't borked. IDE drive were known for being kinda fragile if dropped. I know I have fubared more than one myself doing that.

Yeah, I actually think that's likely. :(

Older IDE drives have Master, Slave and Auto jumpers. I would set the jumper on to Auto position and see if that helps. You might have to google the specs on that drive to know the jumper positions. If all connections are there (power to spin up drive) then it could be hosed. Alot of times when it comes to finding data on an older drive, you may have to give your pc (windows) 15 to 20 minutes for it to recognize the drive and find the data files before it even shows up. (it is a "windows" thing) Another option is to use a *nix O.S. because it does find drives much faster

Last edited:
I tried it both Master and Slave ... I did NOT try auto... that's something I'll do. It just seemed to me that that wouldn't prevent it from spinning up.
I'll definitely give that a try.

Another note, you can try to use your pc just to see if the drive spins up. Just plug in the 5 pin molex from your pc and into the drive. If it does spin up then that device you bought might be faulty.

I plugged in the power "cord" from the gadget I have, turned the gadget on, verified I'm getting 5V using my VOM. Then plugged it into the drive, could even verify that the drive is receiving the 5V. No spinning occurred. I think the drive is simply toast. Thanks to all for the great ideas!

Back
Top Bottom