Icons....*poof*!!!!

Avery4jc

Baseband Member
Hey guys...My mom got a new desktop at her work to use Finale (computer program) on (she's a music minister and uses it with here piano...long story) anyways when she got it I installed Firefox, Kodak picture software (I hate it because it takes over but she needs it for picture editing, Ad-Aware, Finale, Priter Driver, MS Office, etc. all the required programs to make the system work for her. Then when I restarted it the icons and start bar were gone!!! We had it looked at and the company said to just send it back...which was nice....we thought.

So now she got her 2nd tower and I do the same exact thing as I said above and things were going great, I installed everything and restarted it a few times and it was working perfect. Then I used Partition Magic and partitioned off 10gigs for her music files then restarted and you guessed it....poof the icons and start bar are gone AGAIN. I'm pretty depressed because although I'm not a big hardware guy I am pretty proficient with programs, give me a program and I'll learn it top to bottom. So PLEASE help, this is really depressing for me to not be able to help, I'm ALWAYS able to help with any computer problems in my family and even other places but this one has me stumped.

Just to help and get rid of some possibel replies to this I did the only thing that will make anything respond which is opening up the task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) and the only program running is some "Kodak update" hope that helps you computer veterans out.

:confused:

That kodak update wouldn't happen to be "Backweb" would it.
Also how old is this "Finale" software that you are using?

The thing is that the new computer is xp with SP2 and it maynot like the Finale program because of the age of it. My suggestion would be to look at finale website and see if there is an update.
Backweb...is the old kodak updating software that caused a lot of havoc. It runs in the background and reinstalls itself over and over. I have personally seen 179 installations on a single computer.Fouled everything up royally.

here I found this:
Application of group or local policy can sometimes be the cause of unexpected changes to the desktop, such as the disappearance of all icons. If all icons on a desktop are missing and group or local policy does not seem to be the cause, check the computer's Active Desktop settings. If Active Desktop is enabled but no active content is selected for display, the desktop will be blank. To redisplay the default desktop icons, right-click the desktop, choose Active Desktop, and click Show Web Content if there is a check beside the command. Turning off Active Desktop in this way should cause the default desktop icons to reappear. To configure additional Active Desktop properties, right-click the desktop and choose Properties, and then click the Web tab. This is where you can enable/disable Active Desktop content and add or remove active items.

That dumb Kodak program probably is mucking up everything...one problem though....your help doesn't help because on XP if you right click and go to properties there is no web tab... is there another way to get to the "active desktop" stuff. Besides you can't right click on her desktop, only (Ctrl+Alt+Delete) nothing else does anything.
I also forgot to post that the icons are there upon startup but then within 1-2 seconds they dissapear along with the start bar.
How would I uninstall Kodak if I can't get to anything?
Also I tried using the Windows XP restore disk and it did squat. The icons were still missing which leads me to believe that it is a program and not Windows...

*sigh*
thanks a bunch for helping with those questions.

Hey I finally found the Web tab...it's hidden in XP. I'll give that a try tomorrow at her office, only one probelm...how do I get to the control panel without a start bar?
I'm sure there's a command prompt for it or something, I can get to that by clicking on "New Task" in the Task Manager Window. Thanks again.

Lurkswithin I think your my new hero...after reading your last post about 10 times I get it and that makes sense, although I'll still have to find a way to get to the desktop settings or a window for that matter. Thanks a bunch man.
Anyone else have suggestions just incase that doesn't work? My luck isn't the greatest right now as you can probably tell.

Try Picasa for photo editing, it's from Google, and it's free.
Do some googling for it and download it...

Have you considered a system repair?
How to do a system repair.--Boot from the xp cd and go past the recovery console to the install menu. Select repair the existing installation. You won't lose any data except the xp updates. Unless you have a slipstream sp1 cd you will have to d/l sp1 and all subsequent updates. You MUST have at least SP1 installed and the updates for security reasons. Be sure the firewall and A/V is active before going online as you will be susceptible to sasser and msblaster. If you don't want SP2 go to autopatcher.com and d/l SP1 and subsequent updates.

Back
Top Bottom