ICON problems

chin00k47

Baseband Member
Just upgraded XP 32 bit to windows 7 64 bit.

All went well, but my website icons do not appear now, just plain boxes with a firefox logo in the middle. Does not put them in even when I try with explorer 8 all I get is a white box with a mini icon in the middle.

Normal windows icons i.e Computer are fine as are things like AVG when the programme has been downloaded, its just the shortcuts to website that don't work.

Not a major problem but it annoying!!

Any suggestions?

Hey chin00k47,

I would just right-click the shortcut, go to Properties and click on Change Icon... you can get a decent icon for just about any site with a quick Google Images search - just download the image and open up a free graphics editor (such as Gimp) and save the file as filename.ico.

Then, when you select Change Icon, browse to your new icon file and voilà!

Absolute Star, Microsft screw up, you sort my problem, many thanks m8

lol here one for you, can you get rid of the stupid arrow on the shortcut?

got yet another, I did what you said and saved the icons, but there definition is very poor, any ideas?

Hey chin00k47,

Glad I could help.

There isn't an easy way to remove the shortcut arrow that I am aware of - you'll either have to edit the registry or use a 3rd party application. Here's how: Shortcut Arrow - Change, Remove, or Restore - Windows 7 Forums

As for their "definition" being poor - I assume you mean that the quality is poor? An easy fix for that is to save larger, higher-detailed images and convert them into .ico files.

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom