IBM Laptop Keyboard Cleaning

Status
Not open for further replies.

M3Cosmos

Baseband Member
Some time ago I spilled a coke on my IBM laptop keyboard on the right side. I got it cleaned as good as I could and it functioned ok, with only slightly more resistance on those keys than usual.
Now my problem is that those keys that were victim to the coke are sticking pretty bad (2 months later).
Does anyone know how to get these keys off without breaking them? I popped a few off when I spilled it but they were tough to get back on and some went on kinda crooked.

Any advice?

Josh

you could try putting some 96%+ alcohol in a spray bottle and (with the computer off) try to spray SMALL amounts underneath the keys. be sure to let it sit for a day or so so that it all evaporates before turning it back on.

otherwise, i think your best bet is to take the offending keys off and clean with alcohol.

molsen said:
you could try putting some 96%+ alcohol in a spray bottle and (with the computer off) try to spray SMALL amounts underneath the keys. be sure to let it sit for a day or so so that it all evaporates before turning it back on.

otherwise, i think your best bet is to take the offending keys off and clean with alcohol.

Good advice. Do it with the keyboard pretty much vertical so it all runs out not down. There will be drainage. And use a cap next time. :p

superdave1984 said:
Good advice. Do it with the keyboard pretty much vertical so it all runs out not down. There will be drainage. And use a cap next time. :p

Haha, yeah I know... it was a can though:confused:
I'll try the spray idea. These keys are complex enough where I don't want to start popping them off and potentially break them.

that is some thing you are going to have to be very careful with. Laptop keyboards keys are only held together by 2 pieces of plastic that are hooked together. And it does not take much to break them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom