i7 vs PS3 "Cell"

apparently the cell isnt a very good "cpu"
its built a lot more like a GPU and its very good at multitasking
from what i no its about equail to a 3 core cpu thats in the ibm chip in xbox in terms of power (ps3 only has advantage in its gpu 7800vs modified 1650 ati)
so im assuming its prob around the power of the core 2 duos

apparently the cell isnt a very good "cpu"
its built a lot more like a GPU and its very good at multitasking
from what i no its about equail to a 3 core cpu thats in the ibm chip in xbox in terms of power (ps3 only has advantage in its gpu 7800vs modified 1650 ati)
so im assuming its prob around the power of the core 2 duos
Oh, ok, I thought the PS3 was supposed to have a much more powerful processor then the 360. And I thought I read that IBM developed the PS3 processor?

Well, I could be VERY wrong about this...

But I was under the assumption that the PS3 Processor could do LOTS of things, but not at an awesome speed

and a "normal" processor can do one thing at a time, but VERY quickly.

Well, that's how it is for Graphics Cards anyway. Parallel/Stream processing, innit!

ive read multiple accounts on ps3/vs xbox power
and the thing is the way there designed is so different
but whats funny is a lot of the architect that went into the cell actually went into the 3 core xbox because ibm designed it
ps3 is kinda like a hybrid cpu gpu from what i understand and it has these cores that rnt really full cores
and altho were goo at calculations for certain things such as rendering they arent as good for other things such a physics and other complex things cpus are more designed to do
so really when you ask developers which is better there going to say there about equal both have there ups and downs but need to be programmed completely differently
now where the ps3 has a big edge is the gpu
nvidia 7800>ati 1650
but a spot where the xbox has the edge is the way memory is distributed
the ps3 has 256 main and 256 video
while the xbox has 512 main which can be used buy any compoinent
plus 10mb of gpu only mem
so even tho it doesn't seem like a big deal to a developer the ability to use different amounts of ram in different times is a big advantage to have

ive read multiple accounts on ps3/vs xbox power
and the thing is the way there designed is so different
but whats funny is a lot of the architect that went into the cell actually went into the 3 core xbox because ibm designed it
ps3 is kinda like a hybrid cpu gpu from what i understand and it has these cores that rnt really full cores
and altho were goo at calculations for certain things such as rendering they arent as good for other things such a physics and other complex things cpus are more designed to do
so really when you ask developers which is better there going to say there about equal both have there ups and downs but need to be programmed completely differently
now where the ps3 has a big edge is the gpu
nvidia 7800>ati 1650
but a spot where the xbox has the edge is the way memory is distributed
the ps3 has 256 main and 256 video
while the xbox has 512 main which can be used buy any compoinent
plus 10mb of gpu only mem
so even tho it doesn't seem like a big deal to a developer the ability to use different amounts of ram in different times is a big advantage to have
But if the Cell processor is both the GPU and the CPU, then why would it make any difference if it was Video Memory or "Main" memory?

AFAIK, The only way to accurately measure the speeds of two processors (unless they are the same model) is by getting the speed in FLOPS

Various sources say that Sony claim that the PS3's Cell Processor could reach 2TFlops, HOWEVER, it's limited to 1/10th of that due to the memory, and so is capable of 200GFlop's. Whether or not this is TRUE, I am not sure.

According to intel (http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/cs-023143.htm)

i7-965: 51.20 GFLOPS
i7-940: 46.88 GFLOPS
i7-920: 42.56 GFLOPS

So, if what both Sony and Intel are saying, in terms of RAW Computing Power, the PS3 is more capable. However, for non-number crunching use, I'd wager that an i7 is much more powerful.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37621/128/ is pretty interesting. However, if the Cell Processor is in effect the CPU and the CPU, then only the CPU is listed for the XBOX 360 - So the OVERALL power of the Xbox 360 (And all of the other consoles, other than the PS3) will be greater than what is listed on that page.

But if the Cell processor is both the GPU and the CPU, then why would it make any difference if it was Video Memory or "Main" memory?

AFAIK, The only way to accurately measure the speeds of two processors (unless they are the same model) is by getting the speed in FLOPS

Various sources say that Sony claim that the PS3's Cell Processor could reach 2TFlops, HOWEVER, it's limited to 1/10th of that due to the memory, and so is capable of 200GFlop's. Whether or not this is TRUE, I am not sure.

According to intel (http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/cs-023143.htm)

i7-965: 51.20 GFLOPS
i7-940: 46.88 GFLOPS
i7-920: 42.56 GFLOPS

So, if what both Sony and Intel are saying, in terms of RAW Computing Power, the PS3 is more capable. However, for non-number crunching use, I'd wager that an i7 is much more powerful.

http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/37621/128/ is pretty interesting. However, if the Cell Processor is in effect the CPU and the CPU, then only the CPU is listed for the XBOX 360 - So the OVERALL power of the Xbox 360 (And all of the other consoles, other than the PS3) will be greater than what is listed on that page.

the ps3 split mem tho is soldered on the gpu tho
like only the 7800gtx gpu the ps3 uses as its main gpu
can use that 256 whole the cell and what ever else can only use 256

Right, I see what you mean. I'm sure there are advantages by doing that, though! Otherwise, they wouldn't do it :p

Back
Top Bottom