i7 920 or Phenom II 955 Black Edition?

the 940 BE only has 6MB l3 cache and lags behind the 955 BE and the i7, it shouldnt be compared

I've hear when appropriately OC'ed, it can come VERY close to the i7 in speed.

I've heard that as well. But I'm an overclocker to. So when I end up overclocking the i7 or the 955, I will pretty much destroy that CPU.

good then get the amd still it'll be nice. Mine is awesome. plus I dont support intel becuase they use underhanded tactics....

The 955 is nice. I am having problems hitting 4 ghz on it right now but I did manage to get it to 3.85 but the temps while on Prime made me have to back away. Do a quick google search and you will see some insane overclocks for the 955 but they are all on the HIGH end boards. If you are really going to think about getting the 955 you need to figure in around 200 for a board because the lower end ones aren't going to get you over 4 on air. But performance wise I have no complaints at all about it.

What setup are you planning on getting with both rigs Rohan. You say its only a 25 dollar difference so list the full specs of the builds because that will really make it more of an easy choice than just the processors comparisons.

LOL which mobo for the 955? The Asus M4A79T or the gigabyte MA790XT UD5P it links to? :D:D

I Really think it is a close call and it comes down to personal preference. Performance wise I think they are so close that it really isn't gonna matter much either way. Gaming and Editing it seems your really not that serious about either since they aren't what you use your computer for the majority of the time either one since you use it for both. If you were going to be editing all the time and planned on upgrading to better accommodate that I would go with the I7 but I just think that its really not that important to you. If you were gaming solely I would say go with the 955 but the games you play will play close to the same FPS and performance wise on both rigs. Either way they are really close so I Personally would go with the 955 OBV I mean DUH I already got one. But its up to you, basically do you want to be mainstream and get the I7 or a rebel and get the 955?

Back
Top Bottom