i7 720QM 1.6Ghz

Comparing the cores clocks, not true.

The core clock doesn't always mean a faster processor. Duals and quads work in completely different ways. Especially comparing a socket 775 platform to the 1366.

It's like comparing a Ferrari to a Volkswagen. :D

Go for the i7. With turbo boost, it goes up to 2.8Ghz. The DDR3 memory will give it a nice boost and the 4 logical cores will help too. You need to worry more about the graphics card than the processor. What model laptop are you looking at?

I'm looking at the Alienware M15x with the 720Qm processor, the 820qm is +£410 extra (so unless there is a HUGE gain to be had it is out of my budget). 4GB DDR3 ram, for memory card have option of the 512mb GT240M or for +£100 the 1gb GTX260M which i am guessing is the better option.

Will this system be powerful enough? As i'm a little torn between getting this laptop or just getting a i7 920 desktop with the latest graphics card which would come to same price. But obviously then i can't carry it around, i tend to travel a little and would be nice to take the pc with me. I have a large monitor on my desk which i plan to plug the laptop into when at home.

I've heard that the i7 720QM speed varies by the number of cores you utilize (turboboost). I think this is a brilliant idea. That way, the performance will increase when playing games (just like dual cores with higher speeds) and you will have a decent multitasking computer as well.

For more info visit http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1084/1/

Back
Top Bottom