I5-2500k OC Fan

Edsterr

In Runtime
I will soon be getting an intel i5-2500k and overclocking it to about 4.5-5GHz. I've also been looking at several fans to go with it, but am undecided on which to go for. So far I've looked at; the Corsair H80, the Noctua NH-D14, and the Zalman CNPS9900-MAX. I will be using a standard Asus P8Z68-V mobo, w/ 8Gb (2x4Gb) of GSkill ripjaws, and therfore don't want the cooler to take up all the room.

Just wanted to know what your opinions are on these coolers and if you have any suggestions for any other fans. My budget goes up to £60 and height isn't much of an issue (with fans of up to 165mm tall being able to fit in my case).

I've been looking through some more forums and I've come up with some ups and downs to water-cooling and air-cooling. Remember, these are just my thoughts, don't start getting angry if you disagree

Water-cooling

It is (usually) the best form of cooling
It doesn't take up nearly as much room as a fan does
They are easy to install/fit (sometimes)

It needs to be custom made to produce the best results
It is more expensive than its air-cooling equivalent.
It can be really noisy

Air-Cooling

It is much cheaper than WCing
Good quality fans are quiet
They are much more common, and thus you have more choice

Most (good) fans are massive
They're usually not as good as custom WC
The greater choice makes it harder to choose a good fan

To conclude, WCing is great, if you are willing to either make it yourself, or spending an awful lot of money. Air cooling however is a lot cheaper and still gives reasonable cooling. As I'm still new to building I think I'll just stick to fans, but WC is a possibilty for the future.

I've narrowed it down to two coolers; the noctua nh-d14, and the zalman CNPS9900-MAX. Does anyone have either of these or have any experience with them. Any first opinions would be very helpful.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom