I want to set up a subnetwork in a room

Milt2016

Baseband Member
In the house it's currently 3 people connected on the modem/router I believe the it's a modem and a router because we are able to connect to it wirelessly and it connects directly to the wall. We have comcast & every time a lot of people are using the internet my connection on my computer always get slower (or I assume that's the issue). I have a coax cable plug in the room I want to set up my router in, but I am wondering if I set up a modem in my room that my ISP supports and connect a router to it how would I go about being sure I receive the connection from my ISP like it is at the main point?

I am basically trying to set up a newtwork or subnetwork in the room. Would it be more efficient if I just used a switch to set it up and put the wireless switch in the room or would I need to use a wireless bridge to connect the network, which one would be quicker and more compatible. Also should i first determine if the modem is compatible with the router, I am trying to use a 802.11ac router and I am not finding any answers if the modem has to be compatible. I am looking for a router that will be backword compatible with 802.11g because that its the specification of my NIC which may be the delay of the issue on the network.

You'll still be limited by the bandwidth of your single, incoming pipe.

You'd benefit more by looking into if your modem/router has any QoS settings that you can limit bandwidth usage to certain devices and such (or even certain time periods).

Back
Top Bottom