I Want to learn programming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xFLuRRy

Baseband Member
what is an easy program to start with?

I've noticed i have too much spare time on my hands and i want to learn programming like C++ Java or what ever else. i just need an easy starting program to start programming

BTW i need something Completely Free With good Tutorials online.

If i sound Stupid im Sorry im new here. go easy on me :happy:

Either C++ or Java are good starters. Just pick one and go. Both have extensive free online tutorials, although I'd recommend getting a book, as I find books are easier to learn with.

Another question that is very subjective. I think VB would be a better place to start vs. C++ or Java myself because I am trying to learn to program myself. I think HTML, VB, C#, and from what I keep hearing other professors say,..Python. Even though there seem to be NO jobs for Python out there.
Microsoft has the absolute beginners series for web/windows apps. It's all free.
Web Development Lessons and Training for Beginners on MSDN
check it out if you have not already and good luck.

I would also suggest the John Smiley books for learning to program. He takes the time to explain the stuff vs 95% of the other books out there. Murach is good too.

OK here is my take start simple, with something like HTML. The progress onto something more advanced like PHP, then move on to the more advanced languages like C/C++. If you want to be beyond that there is assembly but that is really not something you want to do trust me you will beat yourself over the head with computer trying to learn assembly.

OK here is my take start simple, with something like HTML. The progress onto something more advanced like PHP, then move on to the more advanced languages like C/C++. If you want to be beyond that there is assembly but that is really not something you want to do trust me you will beat yourself over the head with computer trying to learn assembly.

I disagree.

HTML isn't really programming, and PHP is much too different from C/C++/Java. It uses C style syntax, but then most languages do.

If you're going the webroute, then yes, HTML then PHP. But if you're after desktop programming, just start with C++ or Java. They might be hard at first, but with a few good books you'll pick it up, and then you'll be able to use any language really.

I started programming with PHP, and I find the transition to desktop languages difficult because they are so reliant on OOP (with the exception of C) and PHP is not.

Java is open source as well as PHP. I very much like Java but have very little experience with PHP. I think that the Java sdk is free.

I have little experience with C# but it seems similar to Java (more similar to Java than to VB).

VB would be a good language with the exception that Visual Studio is not free.

I agree that HTML is not an actual programming language.

I guess it depends on what one wishes to do with the programming language.

I disagree.

HTML isn't really programming, and PHP is much too different from C/C++/Java. It uses C style syntax, but then most languages do.

If you're going the webroute, then yes, HTML then PHP. But if you're after desktop programming, just start with C++ or Java. They might be hard at first, but with a few good books you'll pick it up, and then you'll be able to use any language really.

I started programming with PHP, and I find the transition to desktop languages difficult because they are so reliant on OOP (with the exception of C) and PHP is not.

Hit the nail on the head. PHP, HTML, XML, etc are much too different to be called a true programming language. They are web oriented, so learn them if you want to develop websites. As far as programming goes, start with Java as it is fairly easy to learn and the transition from that to C++ is seamless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom