I want to buy a new graphics card and case...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Computer123

Solid State Member
I know that you need to know what speed your motherboard is or w/e, but do you need to know your motherboard make and model? Also, what graphics card do u think i should get? I hear I should get it off of www.zipzoomfly.com because they're pretty cheap. That is where i got my 17" 12 ms lcd monitor for about $217.00. My motherboard is an AGP Version 3.0 slot with 8x speed. Manufacturer is Dell computer corp and the model is 0F4491. Side Band (Whatever that is) is enabled.

The other thing i want is a new case. I bought my comp about 3 years ago from Dell because I don't know how to build a computer, nor does my dad. Can anyone tell me how to switch the case out? and if i want a new case should I buy a computer with a power supply or without. I want to choose whatever is easiest. Do i have to sauder (i think thats the way you spell it) anything or just screw in a mother board along with a fan and stuff? I kind of want one with a thermometer built in to it.

thank you for all of your guys' wisdom and knowledge of computers.

Hmm.

12ms lcd monitor ain't that great 8/4/2ms would be much better, nevermind though.

Ok so I suggest you one of these cards: The radeon x800xl for AGP, or if you can affored it, the NVidia GeForce 7800GS.

You should buy a case without a power supply, usualy the powersupplys that comes with the cases are bad quality and risky to use (Might burn you'r hardware or ruin it in someway if the psu is not good)

To replace the case I suggest that you de-assamble everything big that might interrupt you to remov you'r mobo from the current case, stuff like the CPU Heatsink, Video cards, external sound cards etc... anything that can be removed (Besides ram sticks, they don't bother you) and has big weight, should be taken off first.

Also, if you ask me, good cases for a little high are the Thermaltake ones, they are usualy very high quality but I think they are really overpriced, if you would ask me for a good case i'd tell you the Gigabyte's 3D Aurora, cause its a full tower and it costs same as a mid-tower thermaltake case would cost and its the same quality [maybe even better.] but it all comes down to you'r budget and you'r needs.

What is a thermometer? Something to measure the heat on the parts of the pc like cpu / chipset / vid card / hdd? Theres no case that comes with such thing if that what you mean, but you can buy one for cheap, like the Thermaltake Hardcano 12.

Hope this helps,

-Jo.

I don't go with Radeon ever since I bought an ATI Radeon 9800 and it would crash any game I played any time I played it. I'll stick with nVidia, but I definitely can't afford a 7800 cuz i am only almost 15 and don't have a job, but I can afford something a little less pricey like a 6800 GTS/GTX i forget which ones better, and I prolly will buy just a case for now, and buy the Thermaltake Hardcano 12 sometime later.

But what do you think of the 6800, and what model of the 6800 should I get if i even should get one. My friend has one and it looks great, and it looks like a good deal on zipzoomfly.com.

I found a case, but it comes with fans, power supply, 10 "drive bays" different sizes. here is the link but I wanna make sure my graphics card and memory that I get works with the new case. So can someone please tell me whether I should get that one, and if not can anyone link me some good cases off of zipzoomfly.com? I definitely dont want a thermaltake, they're pretty spendy. But, logysis's are nice.

Here is the link to the case I found:

http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductDetail.jsp?ProductCode=145013

Cuz what I want to do is transfer everything of my old stuff (even the old graphics card if possible) to the new case. If its possible I want to make sure that BOTH my old and new graphics card works on the new case. As well as the motherboard, memory, and sound card. But I think i have an integrated sound card, but I'm not sure. If I do have an integrated sound card I could buy an external one or w/e. But to make sure so when I buy the case i buy the sound card, can someone tell me how to find out my sound card?

thank you guys for alls ur help.

[Edit] I found my sound card. It's Creative SB Live! Series. It says its in PCI Slot 3 (PCI bus 2, device 2, function 0)

If I could keep that It'd be nice. I'm not trying to get a real leet computer, just enough to get by. And really all i need is a graphics card and case, because I have an OK sound card and 1gb ram. But my comp overheats usually because I live in Minnesota in the basement of my house and it gets cold since my house is brick, so I turn on the oil heater or w/e, and that's when it overheats. I don't want it to fry my hardware lol.

[Edit] Whats the difference between a mid or full tower case?

lol im a nub at computers

this case will do and wont fry anything, mid tower is by far smaller than a full tower.

this case is cheap for several reasons:

A. Materials, cheap plastic and heavy steel, it weights a lot more than a high-end case made of full aluminum, and plastic is just lame :p

B. Quality, it doesnt seem to have folded edges which is not very healthy for you'r fingers, and other quality touches that makes a case a good one.

C. Requires tools for most of the activities like removing a card etc, most cases nowdays are tool-less in 90%

and the psu is not a high quality one but will definantly work you'r computer for a while, i'd say a lifetime of three-four years on an avarge... sometimes more if the computer lives that far :)

Bottom line, this case will hold you'r things inside and will be ok for the use of a box that sits on the floor 90% of her life time, because thats what a case is needed for... however this is not a 'luxury' case, it doesnt have all the little features you get with the thermaltakes or the one i have offerd (gigabyte 3d aurora) etc... but it will work!

Hope you get the point,

-Jo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom