I want a duel os, what should I use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juice Daddy

Fully Optimized
I use windows xp on my primary hard drive, but I have a secondary hard drive just for extra space, I want to try Linux but I donÂ’t know what I should dl... I want to know whats the best and Opinions count as facts on this thread, (no intention of creating a flame war) I simply want something good, and please back up "facts" with info on what it has better that others

Thanks people,

Try Fedora Core 4 or Solaris 10. Fedora Core 4 is in my opinion the best Linux and Solaris 10 is the best UNIX by far not too many will argue that Solaris 10 is not good.

And so diversity and flame wars are about to begin.... j/k

Honesty everyone here has their own personal Linux favorite, I recommend Redhat/Fedora others say Slackware while some say Mandrake. It's just personal opinion if it's hard for you draw out of a hat..... But I seriously doubt anyone can say Sun10/Solaris 10 is not good I say you try that it's the most advanced OS on the world so they claim but they have good reasons to make such a comment.

I have narrowed my search to slackware or sun10...

can someone post a link to a good site to dl either one...

some screen shots would be nice to...

by the way I have tried fedora core and I didn't like it to much mainly cause I need to use a higher resolution...(only 800x600)

thanx for the help

Sun10 is very advanced and it's a ***** to install I'll tell you that upfront. But it's very rewarding once you get it up and running. It's the most commonly used Server in the world and also has a great desktop version. I've used Sun9 once and I thought it was great.

Slackware is what some consider a "pure" Linux that has been unmodified and is the origanal Linux. In my opinion Linux is modified for many reasons Just like I don't use Windows 3.1 I use Windows Longhorn a modified version of 3.1. Slackware is pure some like it I don't things are changed for reasons.

If security is your top priority then you must go for Red Hat Linux. Red Hat Linux 9 download are very popular.

Read more on;

SNIP

Cleopatra

RED HAT 9 works like a charm. I have a webserver running on it for 4 weeks and going!

Mandrake or Mandriva with KDE is a good linux for starters....

Redhat 9? Solaris?

RH9 is...slightly outdated, it's been replaced. By something he's already tried, no less.

I would definitely not recommend Solaris to a new Linux user. First thing, most servers do not use Sun10. And I WOULD argue about it not being the most advanced OS right now, but that's for another time ;).

My recommendation? Ubuntu Linux
Debian based, easy to install, excellent community, etc. Read the new Distro Recommendation sticky for more. Speaking of that thread, a lot of you seem to have strong opinions about various distros...post your distro of choice there! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom