I think my PS2 is going to die.

Half Evil

Golden Master
Well, I was just playing God of War, and mind you I have been playing this for the past few days.

Yesterday something weird started happening. Every so often a line would like scroll down the screen. It was like a bad disk reading for a brief second. Because it had the same colors as the rest of the game, but mixed to form a horizontal line that scrolld down the screen fast. It was really weird.

Anyways, today it goes to this cut scene, and then it freezes, and the music studders in place. It resumes after maybe 7 seconds. Then it was fine for a few. About 10 minutes later it stalled in another cut scene, this one not being very particular interacting, just two guys talking so nothing heavy on the hardware.

Then right away after the cut scene I gotta kill these two giant things. (For anyone that knows the game, I am just about to open the gate to go search for Pandora's box, but the two big creature monster things attack). Anyways.. while I am fighting these huge hulking things and between you and I, they're kickin' my ass, lol, the game starts to cut out. I mean not cut out to black screen, but game play cuts out, I get a freeze frame, and the sound studders. It happens probably another 6 times, every time getting a little longer. So I finally got mad and turned it off.

I haven't tried any other games yet, but even if it doesnt happen with any others, it shouldn't happen with this one because the game is BRAND NEW. I took it out, put it in, and the disk hasnt been touched since. Not a scratch on it, perfectly mint.

So this is weird.

I'll take the dead PS2 :D

Anyway, it could be a disk read error, or maybe you are just stressing the PS2 by playing it so much that it may be overheating, leave it off for a while maybe it will clear up. Did you try ejecting the disc at least?

It was off all night.

I only played it for maybe 20 minutes today before it did that..

And no, I didnt try ejecting the disk, I dont know what that would do :confused:

To be honest, since its a new game, it may be the game.
I have had an Xbox 360 game been faulty, which caused read errors, and geometry to just pop up out of place, etc.

Try other games, but to be honest, I think you'll find its that :) Least I hope it is.

i'd recommend taking the ps2 apart and cleaning any and all dust out, this problem could be caused due to overheating, and im willing to bet you've never cleaned it... i never did this either until mine died... if cleaning doesnt help the problem, ill get you a guide for fixing DRE's (disc read errors) its uber simple, and if your ps2 is having slow load times or not reading some discs at all it could be very beneficial

Lol, I was hoping for that one!!!!

But, bulzi, I migh take it apart and clean it. You're right, I have never done that, not to mention I did buy it used off ebay, so who knows what kind of environment it was in.

this happens to all PS2's, there lens have very short life spans, but you can extend them.

open it up the main cover than take off the cd drive cover and clean the lens with a q-tip and rubbing alcohol, you should start to have to do this more and more as you use it more. although i would suggest not turning it off if you know your going to play that same game within 2 or 3 days (no lie, when my PS2 was dying, we had it on 2 weeks at a time).

Back
Top Bottom