I think i have a keylogger PLEASE HELP

IknowLITTLE

In Runtime
So, i basically gave my ip out. after talking to the guy (who has it) i got the feeling that he installed a key logger. my knowledge on keyloggers is basically nothing other than the fact that i know they logg what i type. hes begging me to restart my computer in safe mode witch i saw as kinda weird. now what im wondering is their any tell tail signs that my computer does have a keylogger, and how should i get rid of it. i just ran a avg scan and their was nothing. please help me...

Why did he ask for your IP? What's his reason for you booting into Safe Mode?

You can do a system restore to undo any changes to the computer but that most likely won't rid the computer of a keylogger. Run HiJackThis and then post the logs here.

can i have a link to hijackthis, and i wasnt like he asked its just he got it through an online game. its not really worth explaining. the reason for me booting into safe mode was to see if the password and recovery to this online game was stolen through a virus on my half. he said anti virus programs can scan better in safe mode or something. idk utter bull.

ok, so i ran it and it gave me an error message telling me that their were certain hosts that it couldnt get to and that i needed to do it myself. so i did and it opend a notpad that said that their it showed 2 things: "localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself." then it said:
(number.numbers.) local host
(number.number.) local host

im sorry im really nooby when it comes to computers. please have the patients to deal with me..

also, it isnt letting me create a log file. well it is but when it opens notpad its just blank..

no one can help?

Very interesting, are you running HiJackThis in safe mode?

Edit: AFAIK, there's no program that needs Safe Mode to complete the installation... However, I could be wrong about that. You're still better off running the program in safe mode (HiJackThis) to get a log file. You can boot into Safe Mode with Networking to get a log file and subsequently post it to the forums.

Right, restart and press F8 right after the computer passes your BIOS screen to prompt Windows to give you the various boot options.

ok ill restart right now and let you know how it works. btw thanks for all the help. will i be able to access the internet in safe mode?

ok so i restart and see a big red screen and theirs like 5 options and none of them said safe mode... didnt wanna fuck anything up so i just booted normally and hit enter on the one that said default.

o yea, something else. i re read and realized that when something wasnt giving the program access to it i did what it said wrong. so i erased the lines like the program told me to and now its saying that i dont have permission to do this. now that i think back this could be a driver file that a computer guy locked so that a virus or w/e couldn't uninstall drivers like the last one did. does that sound right?

I think you entered either the boot options menu or your BIOS. After you get the initial boot screen, with the logo of your computer manufacturer, and then the screen turns black, that's when you want to press F8 to get the Windows Boot Options. It loads a minimal set of drivers so you can run HiJackThis and other AV software programs without interference.

ive had enough for today...tbh i think ive freaked myself out and convinced myself that i had it when i really doubt i do. if u would could give me a set of lines i should be looking for in hijack this? if not ill re post tommorow. its 12 now and i need to be up at 6. thanks for your time.

Back
Top Bottom