I.T field, wanting as a career

geek_gal

Daemon Poster
I.T field, wanting to get into as a career

You guys im needing some ideas or hints or just help, i know about *some* diffrent fields in I.T/computers but im sure theres HUGE range of options, so im wanting to really get into it to make up my mind about where im going.

I might get to do a course or course(s) next year hopefully if everything goes ok, if i do end up moving next year then i might have to travel farther to uni(if i end up getting in etc etc) but it dont matter, as long as i have a few choices.
I was thinking along the lines of first getting more *much* more knowledge, doing courses ect..then maybe start a business somehow, or..
- start a from-home-repairs and then going from there, i really dont know, i know that i want a career in I.T tho,

Also theres the fact...im female...mostly for males..so much harder to get work i would imagine, since its 'ruled' by you males..so i dunno...

Thanks for any helpful info, and thanks :)

Being a woman is nothing special in the IT world, there are plenty of female IT workers!!!

if you really feel that people will discriminate against you, then work with the system that you feel works against yuo, apply for an IT job at a university or a college, they lap up any people who are traditionally considered minority sector workers, because it makes them look like a much better employer, it's called positive discrimination.

industry experiance, working for somebody else is a much better place to start than rtying to go it alone, where one mistake could be the end of you...

get a good paying job save up for a little while. start maybe doing sidejobs. then open a little store for pc stuff. that woudl be cool. and seriously dont be so harsh on us lol. but seriously though just do something u like.

Of course you should persue a career in I.T if you really want it.

About a quarter of the people in my computing class are female so there are no worries there.

What field are you really interested in?

At my college I.T centres mostly on programs used in the business world (not my cup of tea), but computing centres on programming and in-depth hardware (my cup of tea).

Your speaking like being a female in the IT feild is hard! or hard to get into!!

hun, being a girl in the IT industry is great!! Guys will bend over backwards for ya! and i should know! seeing as i am a female in the IT feild hehe, more seriously though, you shouldnt let anything like that stop you from doing what you want. if you want a job in IT, do some courses like your saying you want to do, then go and apply for them! there is nothing stopping ya =D

When i finished school i had no idea what i wanted to do, i liked mucking around with pc's at home, so i thought about geting into IT. i got into university, and now i got a job and im loving it! hope it all works out for ya!

goodluck with it!!

Nat =D

Here's another tip. It's nice to have the credentials too (ie, Bachelor's Degree, certification, etc. they will help you too), but the ultimate knowledge comes from playing on your own. I'm surrounded by IT guys at work and that's what they tell me. You will NEVER learn in school what you can learn by actually doing the work. Setting up a server and static IP, establish user domain, group policies, DHCP scope, etc, etc. I'm sure you can read up on MCSE, but can anyone truly understand the book? I need to actually see it to grasp the concept. Expereince real life problems and scenarios. Coming on here to read people's problems is a good way to start too.

With that in mind, I'm going to try to setup a real server/workstation envrionment after I get my next PC built. I'll use Windows 2003 Server or Enterprise seeing I have like infinite access to Microsoft software. I know nothing about that. Building a PC is one thing, but actually supporting a network environment is another thing.

Most IT jobs now require network and integration of Microsoft. MCSE is basically the thing to go for. Just a plain computer tech here in the US is hard to get into because most companies require a broader range of knowledge, not just troubleshooting PC problems. You'll need to be able to route network cables, setup server, software testing, programming (Visual Basic scripts), of course hardware knowledge, be able to work with all kinds of networking equipments, assign/create new user group and policies, troubleshoot networks, setting up domains, static and dynamic IP, etc..

For women to be discriminated at work is known as working under a glass ceiling. Business term. Sue their asses off.

I want a carrer in I.T. aswell..I was thinking along the lines of a Tech / Support person at my school. They install programs, re-image computers and fix them all day long. Sounds like fun!

That's what I did before. It was so boring after awhile. When you flood the network during the imaging process, people will complain. That is why you make sure the network your lab is on isn't broadcasting to the other part of the network.

Back
Top Bottom