I switched from IE to Firefox, but...

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoneBiLLT

Beta member
OK, here's the deal. I want to figure out, if at all possible, how to shut IE down. I'm sure it's been asked before, but Firefox is great, I have virtually no popups, and I'm content. However, IE windows are popping up constantly with ads and stuff that I obviously don't want. Is there any way to shut IE down? I have Windows XP, and I know I can fool around with the IE options, but I have not figured out how to get rid of these incessant popups, which I would surely like to do. And please, if you can, dumb it down for me. I'm fairly intelligent, but computer terminology makes my head hurt. I don't even think I grasp the whole concept of a "cookie." Any help would be grealy appreciated. Thank you.

~Bill

Start > Settings > Contol Panel > Add or Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows Compnents. Un-check "Internet Explorer" and click next. The rest I'm sure you'll figure out.

i would do trotters idea, Ie is part of windows so you can't delete it.

i'm sure once the spyware is gone so will the popups.

Removing IE is not recommended... certain site are programmed for IE only (ie. the Windows Update Site) its good to keep IE in handy just in case you've come across some careless webdesigner's site that doesn't work right in alternative browsers.

you can also got to Options>extensions>get more extensions...search in there they have an ad block extension for FireFox.

I'm thinking its not popups but its ad wear on your PC, Like the guys said use Anti-Spyware programs such as:

(My Recommendations)

Spybot Search & Destroy (Google Search)
Ad-Aware (This one is not full version so i recommend the other one)

If you have P2P programs and stuff like that or weather programs they sometimes popup ads, Does the ads only come up when when ur surfing the net? or does it come up all the time? And yeah DO NOT uninstall IE, I'm using firefox, and if it loads the site firefox is great but some sites it just won't work so good to keep IE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom