I suck at overclocking!

CompMan

Fully Optimized
Hey guys can you help me out w. overclocking my processor in my sig?!

I absolutely suck at ocing since I really never did it.

If anyone else has this processor can you tell me your settings maybe?

My temps right now are 28C idle and like 37C while gaming source for hrs straight.

I'm looking to get at like 2.7Ghz.

Stable!

lol thanks!

I'm not too good at OCing either. I usually just increase the multipliers or FSB. But don't set it too high all at once. I would try 5-10MHz intervals in BIOS Setup. Did you just build a new PC? I noticed your specs are different than the one you use to have.

Just go into your BIOS and raise the FSB until it won't boot into Windows properly.
Then, raise the VCore voltage (basically increase the amount of electricity to the CPU) by one step. This is when you have to be very careful about temperatures though. Watch them carefully, I think the max on that processor is 65*C.

Repeat until you hit a wall. At this point you'll probably have to increase your chipset or RAM voltages. Watch

Once you get as far as you think you can, test for stability using the Prime95 torture test:
http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm

Run it for a few hours, if you don't get any errors, then it's probably stable. I don't know how far you'll get with stock cooling, but it's worth a try, especially if your temps are that low already. Although I doubt CS:S is really stressing that processor much...

Make sure you run a prime95 app for each core. Here's a a quick how to on running multiple prime95's. Its a bit overkill cause nothing stress's your cpu like prime95.

Prime95 is normally the norm for testing overclock stability. However you have to set it up to run 2 instances 1 for each core. You would need to create 2 desktop shortcuts. Then label the first one Prime95-1 and the second Prime95-2. After you do that you would need to right click the shortcut go to properties under the target add this in. In Prime95-1 at the end of the target line after Prime95.EXE" put one space then type -A0 thats a zero then in Prime95-2 at the end of the target line put a space then -A1 Then you need to open each prime go to advanced affinity and target prime95-1 to run on cpu0 then on prime95-2 go advanced affinity uncheck and target at cpu1. Then you need to go to Prime95-1 go to the options and click on the torture test. After you click this you need to select blend mode. Check your available memory say you have 2gbs with 1.5gbs free you need to divide this number in half sense you will be running 2 tests one for each core. So half would be 750 megs on Prime95-1 then 750 megs on Prime95-2. I always allow a bit of leeway though so I knock of some of that. I have 2.8gigs in XP 2.6 free after XP's stuff so i run roughly 1.3gigs per core. I'd say you would want to run around 900megs per core.

This is the only way to truly use both cores at 100%

Okay forget it.

I got it up to 2.7! right all is well and good. and then 2 minutes later it set itself back to 2.3ghz!

I was like thats it im not in the mood for this tonight

Yeah just raise your fsb make sure the multiplier is set and remember to save.

Back
Top Bottom