I need to get this all strighten out with flaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepsiboy700

Fully Optimized
Ok, let me say before I start that I am neutral on this disscusion as I start to learn more about it and what things really are.

I know you have all seen the commercials where Apple has two guys standing next to each other. One guy is a "Mac" and the other one is a "Pc". Now to start off, someone tell me whats wrong with that. If I am correct, a "Pc" is a personal computer. So wtf is a Mac? I mean the only differences between a Mac and a Pc is the OS. If I took Windows off my computer and OSX 10 off a Mac, their is a quite a similarity. All the Mac OSX 10 is a version of Linux like Ubuntu or Suse. Anyone that says OSX 10 sucks better rephrase that and say Apple's version of Linux sucks because last time I checked, Linux is pretty ****ing good. If you know how to use Linux well, it beats Windows by a long shot. Even Suse or Ubuntu is better than OSX 10, IF you know how to use it. People assume if its not user friendly and they dont know how to use it, it sucks.

I already posted on a thread about the Zune vs the iPod. Just get whats best for your needs and dont be a ****ing fan boy. This whole thing relates to like Intel vs AMD or ATI vs Nvidia.

Guys, please correct me if I am wrong. I was just ****ed about this whole thing and had to get it out after a friend of mine made a comment about this today.

Pepsiboy700 said:
Ok, let me say before I start that I am neutral on this disscusion as I start to learn more about it and what things really are.

Okay, let's have a go at it.

Pepsiboy700 said:
I know you have all seen the commercials where Apple has two guys standing next to each other. One guy is a "Mac" and the other one is a "Pc". Now to start off, someone tell me whats wrong with that. If I am correct, a "Pc" is a personal computer. So wtf is a Mac?

A Mac is a personal computer, but the term "PC" is derived from the IBM PC, but what it means now is "computer not made by Apple, running Windows."

Pepsiboy700 said:
I mean the only differences between a Mac and a Pc is the OS. If I took Windows off my computer and OSX 10 off a Mac, their is a quite a similarity.

Quite similar, in that they are both computers and can run an operating system? Apple computers look good, "PC's" in general, don't.

Pepsiboy700 said:
All the Mac OSX 10 is a version of Linux

Mac OS X (X is 10 in roman numerals, so it's pronounced Mac Oh Ess Ten) is most certainly NOT a Linux distribution like Ubuntu or Suse. It is based on BSD which is based UNIX. Linux is also based on UNIX but they have their differences.

Pepsiboy700 said:
like Ubuntu or Suse. Anyone that says OSX 10 sucks better rephrase that and say Apple's version of Linux sucks because last time I checked, Linux is pretty ****ing good. If you know how to use Linux well, it beats Windows by a long shot. Even Suse or Ubuntu is better than OSX 10, IF you know how to use it. People assume if its not user friendly and they dont know how to use it, it sucks.

Yeah, but please get your facts straight. It wouldn't be a lie to say that OS X is a version of BSD, or even to say that it's a version of UNIX, but it isn't a version of Linux.

Pepsiboy700 said:
I already posted on a thread about the Zune vs the iPod. Just get whats best for your needs and dont be a ****ing fan boy. This whole thing relates to like Intel vs AMD or ATI vs Nvidia.

Guys, please correct me if I am wrong. I was just ****ed about this whole thing and had to get it out after a friend of mine made a comment about this today.

It's okay. But next time, please differentiate between OS X, BSD, UNIX and Linux. They all have their similarities, but they are not the same thing.

One thing that irritates me is when people try to argue the fact that Mac's don't get viruses and try to argue it's security. Sure, you can dig up some proof of concept bugs that may lead to some hackage but 99.999999% of the time, Mac users don't get viruses without knowing about it.

The Mac security argument bugs me because for the most part I don't think it's true. There are only like 10 viruses out for Mac right now and very little spyware compared to millions of threats Windows-baed computers and software face everyday. Hackers and ad companies aren't going to make malware for Macs since they only have like a 3% market share. Their target is the hundreds of millions of Windows PC out there. It's the same reason for Linux distros too: Compared to PCs they have a very small user base so what's the point in targetting them? It's not purely a matter of better software design on the part of Apple but rather a consequence of how few people use Macs when compared to PCs.

Yeah sorry about the not knowing the differences between OS X, BSD, UNIX and Linux. I have a couple of questions though. Wasnt Linux a public version of Unix for the public? And has Apple's OS been around longer than Linux? Also what are some differences between Apple's OS and Linux besides the fact a muti million dollar company has spent years perfecting their operating system? Is it just more "user friendly"?

I also agree with the Mac's dont get viruses.

Heres a little story for you...

A teacher of mine bought a Mac being told its almost impossible to get a virus so he recklessly did w/e he wanted online surfing the web and downloading things. Eventually his machine started acting up and kept shutting down, getting errors, loosing files. It then wouldnt start up and he had to reinstall OSX 10 but lost all his files in the process. After this, he is alot more cautious and dont care what anyone now says about Mac's not getting viruses. Sure Mac's usually get less viruses than Windows machine's but they STILL GET VIRUSES.

Also, people here on TF that want to buy Mac's.... Couldnt they just custom build a pc with our help and just put Apple's OSX 10 on it saving them a good deal of money and have a way better machine than what Apple would provide them with?

OS's are definately a preference thing. (btw - the General is Correct OSX is UNIX).

Hate me - but I like windows (I'm aware that's really uncool).

I use my PC for high end graphics apps and for "hardcore" gaming...

I can do all this on a PC for half the cost in hardware and software than a Mac.

That's my end story.

:classic:

Couldnt they just custom build a pc with our help and just put Apple's OSX 10 on it saving them a good deal of money and have a way better machine than what Apple would provide them with?
As far as I'm aware, you can't buy hardware for a mac like you can a PC. They don't use the same processors and I don't think mac has a newegg equivelant. Not really sure since I haven't ever cared too much but I think it's pretty much setup so you have no choice but to go and buy a premade computer that is mac.

Apple computers look good, "PC's" in general, don't.
Who cares. I hate most of macs designs.

Over all I tire of these debates.
Mac Vs. PC
Windows Vs. Mac Vs. Linux
AMD Vs. Intel
Ati Vs. nVidia.
iPOD Vs. insert Media player here
Sony Console vs. Microsoft Console vs. Ninendo Console

At the end of the day, it your computer (or device) and as long as you are happy with they way it works, that is all and good.

Otherwise....
wedontcare.jpg

You cant run os x on a pc legally. YOu can do a emulation, I am not sure of the legality of it though.

However you can run windows xp on a mac. because they are using cpu's and other componenets that are supported by windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom