I need some suggestions on a new computer

megadeth

Solid State Member
Hey,

Lately, I have been getting more involved with my computer, downloading more programs, using it more often, etc. But, I share my computer with my whole family so, I dont have much space. My current computer has only 20 gb of space in total and we have used bout 19.5 gb so, I cant really download anything more.

The problem is, I'm 15 years old so I dont have a lot of cash. I was leaning towards a laptop because of the the space it woulnt take up as apposed to a desktop computer but, they are all so exoensive and I need something with a lot of space. I suppose I could just buy an external hardrive though. Anyways, what are some of the best, affordable notebooks out there? I anm looking to spend under 1000 dollars (canadian) and I was looking at acer laptops and they dont look too bad. one of the ones I have been looking at has this

Operating Systems Microsoft® Windows® XP Home
Platform Notebook PC
Expansion Ports 1 - Type II PC Card Slot
Processor Brand AMD
Processor Class Turion 64 ML-30
Processor Speed 1.6GHz
Memory Type DDR333
Memory Size 512MB
Memory Slots (Total) 2
Capacity 60GB
Optical Drive Type CD-RW / DVD-ROM Combo Drive
Graphics Description Integrated Graphics
Communications Description Integrated Wireless LAN
Width 14.3"
Height 1.5”
Depth 11.0"
Weight 6.2 lbs
Display Type TFT
XGA
Viewable Screen Size 15.4"

That, to me, doesnt look too bad, but, I dont understand what 1.6GHz is or if an AMD processor is good or if the processor class is good.

Anyways, I know thats a lot but info and help would be much appreciated.

thanks

u are looking for more space and want a pc with a 60GB hdd?

I'll just be honest with u, if u play more than a few games or download movies or anything like that 60GB is not going to be enough. I have a total of about 130GB hdd space and it get's full once in a while.

I'm just putting up a pc for my friend and I am putting a 300GB hdd in it. So I'd really look for a bigger hdd. And if u don't plan on moving the computer around much then go for a desktop it's just so much cheaper.

no man, thats why I said that I was going to get an external hard drive. 60 gb isnt bad to start out with but, Im gonna need a lot more and thats why I said I would get an external hard drive.

if you dont mind not having a new pc, you could just throw a new harddrive into it. or you might look into customizing a cheap dell notebook like the Inspiron 6000.

marc said:
no man, thats why I said that I was going to get an external hard drive. 60 gb isnt bad to start out with but, Im gonna need a lot more and thats why I said I would get an external hard drive.

Well can't u just buy an external hdd and hook it up with ur current pc? Coz that would be like $1000 cheaper. But if u want a laptop then acer is a good choise, I like their products very much.

daemon said:
Well can't u just buy an external hdd and hook it up with ur current pc? Coz that would be like $1000 cheaper. But if u want a laptop then acer is a good choise, I like their products very much.

Well, exeternal's are a little more expensive the internal's... but yeah, that labtop is nice. You can always hook up an external hd to that older computer and have some more space. It's cheaper than just buying a whole new computer. NOt as portable, but you save money.

well, I would just hook up an external hd to my current pc but, I do a lot of recording so I have to keep all my gear out in the living room and if I had my own pc i would be able to brnig it all into my room. Im still on the fence between a desktop and a laptop though.

It depends. Portablity for labtop and performance for desktop, also expandiblity for a desktop, along with upgradability. With a labtop... all you can really do is change the ram, the hd, the battery, and that's about it.

Back
Top Bottom