I need some advice

lhuser

Golden Master
Well, here I go on confusion tour. Now, I want to hear advices on what would be better.

(local PC shop employers should know it)

Let's say, that a PC shop needs a new guy.

Three people puts in applications.

Person A comes in and has a trade school leaving for computing support.
Pesron B comes in with a cegep leaving for computing support.
Person C comes in, without anything but a high school leaving, but does own CompTIA A+, his MCSA/MCSE for Win2000-2003 and he's looking foward for his MCSA/MCSE for Vista and a Cisco certified.

Which would have more chances in, looking at the certificates and in actual life?

D. The one with the most work experience.

Certificates are nice and all, but actual experience is really what employers are looking for.

D. The one with the most work experience.

Certificates are nice and all, but actual experience is really what employers are looking for.

That i got quite a bit of :D

Out of those, i'd say B, however not many people know what that french education thingy is.

I would choose person 3 but I would put him to the test either by giving hima test right on the spot or have him show me what he can do on a computer.

This one company required AS degree and all this other stuff I didnt have. However, IM self taught and read A lot on cert books (A+,Network+,CCNA,CISSP,MCSE & MCSA, ETC... plus lots of work experience and training from prior jobs in IT.

most employers are looking for people who are certified, you will make far more income with certs than you will without them.

So hold on, a college kid can kick the crap out of the guy who has dedicated certificates for one specific area, while the other is shared with English and all sorts of things?

It's just that I don't get it. If I decide to go and get those certifications done for myself, I should go in. I mean, what's two and a half years of studying (Well, I'm looking to get those dang books, especially A+ first), it still can't equal a basic college?

So hold on, a college kid can kick the crap out of the guy who has dedicated certificates for one specific area, while the other is shared with English and all sorts of things?

It's just that I don't get it. If I decide to go and get those certifications done for myself, I should go in. I mean, what's two and a half years of studying (Well, I'm looking to get those dang books, especially A+ first), it still can't equal a basic college?

Because certifications are simplier than a full college program.

MCSE is challenging, but A+ and Net+ and stuff like that are pretty trivial. I'm doing my A+ and Net+ shortly :)

Well heres what i would do if i was the employer , give each one a 3 week trial in the workplace and then based on what they did during the 3 week trial see who is best suited . or if a 3 week trial was not possible get one of my current techs to rig up a few pc's with a few problems and get each one to fix them or say what they would do
Personaly i would also look at past exprience and ask them a little about how they initialy learnt computers and how they started out . IF one of the guys says well i have been into it since i was like 11-12 when i buiolt my first and and just learn more and more since yet the other 2 say well only a few years i would personally take the kid thats been doing it since 11 cos its probably a hobby to him too and although it isnt formal experinence its still experience

First of all take into account their manor and punctuality and appearance, who did you think made the best effort?, who to you was most enthusiastic, keen to work and showed a good willing/drive to do well?.
They all have a good CV so if it was me I would use the above as guide, Did any of the candidates stand out to you as I always go with my gut instinct, Are you prepared to take time out to train them or are you wanting them to walk in and pick it up from the off? if that is the case go for the most experienced.

Yeah its not always about there qualifications or experience . IF a under qualified person but has the right positive attitude comes and makes a real effort but all the others are like yeah i know i can defiantly get the job then it may pay in the long tun to train the positive person up

Back
Top Bottom