I need Help with Video Card

inkers

Solid State Member
I need help to update my video card. I have a AMD Athlon XP 2100+ 1.73Ghz, mb ASUS A7V8X 1024MB SDRAM, looking for a good one, with 3D price around 150.00 to 250.00 cdn. I need all the help I can get. Tks

I'd go with a 6600GT.
U could also get a 6800GT, which would be better, might be a little over ur budget, but u can check that out yourseld. The 6800GT is the best u can get for AGP port.

But the reason why I'd go with the 6600GT is that the cpu is old, so it will be bottlenecking the card so u might not notice a big difference between the 6600GT and the 6800GT.

And just check that the mobo has an AGP port, if it only has a pci port then it's time for a new mobo. And how much wattage does ur power supply have? I think the 6600GT needs maybe 300W and the 6800GT needs maybe a 350W. Not sure if those wattages are correct, but it's something like that. U can check them from google if u want to.

The mobo has AGP PCI IMB USB Firewire/1394 12c/ SMBus, not sure of the wattage. I have no idea what half this stuff means. the 6600GT is this a good one. I can go over budget.

I say a 6800GS and then if you ever get any more money at LEAST upgrade the CPU, or you could always look at overclocking.

HRHunteRHR said:
I say a 6800GS and then if you ever get any more money at LEAST upgrade the CPU, or you could always look at overclocking.

but the 6800GS kinda sucks in AGP. In pci-e it's great, but the agp just isn't even close to that. I don't know why they made it so bad, I mean, the clock speeds are way lower etc. Maybe they just want everyone to move to pci-e.

oh, and inkers u can check the wattage by opening the case and staring at the PSU :D Somewhere on it it should say like max output 300W or just 300W or something like that.

How would I go about overclocking the CPU, it is 300w , what is the difference between XFX GeForcer 6600GT & Evga GeForce.

How would I go about overclocking the CPU, it is 300w , what is the difference between XFX GeForcer 6600GT & Evga GeForce.

for oc'ing the cpu: http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=29837

I just checked, atleast with the evga 6600GT the minimum recommended psu is 350W, same with the 6800GT. So if u want to get one of those I highly recommend getting a better psu too.

And XFX and evga are just the card manufacturers. There is some differences, like usually XFX already oc's the card a little, not many companies do this. But in my opinion both XFX and evga are good brands.

Back
Top Bottom