I Need Help With My Computer :s

mudgee

Baseband Member
sup people, this is like my first ever post on here.
so be nice :)

i recently acquired a computer (acer aspire m1610) from my grandfather.

now, i was thinking about getting a new graphics card for it...

preferably a Nvidia GeForce 8800gt (my friend recommended it). check it out here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_8800_gt_us.html

i was wondering if this would be suitable for this computer, i.e, would it work??

i mainly plan to use the computer for gaming, with games such as fallout 3, crysis, trackmania, doom 3...

so. here are the specs...im not sure if this is what u guys need to figure it out, tell me if you want me to find anything more.

Processor Brand: Intel
Processor Class: Pentium Dual Core
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Installed Memory: 2 GB
Bus Speed: 800 MHz
Included Drives: DVD±RW
Hard Drive Capacity: 320 GB
Operating System: Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium

these specs are on the front of the computer:

intel celeron cpu 420
1gb ddr2 memory
160gig harddrive

and then theres some stuff about the dvd burner, which i doubt is useful to you guys.

please get back to me as soon as possible!!

cheers.

Can't find any spec about the motherboard used in this PC but it is a very very safe bet that it will have the port to run an 880GT in (port is called PCI-E). I have seen Crysis ran on an 8800GT before but i'd say if you can afford it jump up to the 9 series and get a 9800gt or 9800gtx or the 9800gtx which i think has been rebranded as a GTX250. Depending on which of the specs you've listed is correct for the system you might look at upgrading the CPU as well, the Q6600 or the E7400 are normally very highly recommended. Let me know if you've got a set budget for these upgrades and what your monitors native resolution is.

PS Welcome to CF

tom,

thanks heaps for your quick reply.

the info you've given me is excellent. in terms of the specs, i believe the second set are correct, as they are printed onto the actual tower. does this mean i should look at upgrading my cpu if i want to use this computer for *hardcore* gaming? ;)

now i looked up on how to change my cpu, and it seems fairly difficult for a person with no experience in this area. can i get help from someone at a computer store to help upgrade it for me?

and sure, i'll get the best graphics card i can afford, i just wasn't sure if there was a restriction or limitation on the types of card you could put in.

AWESOME :D

thanks for the warm welcome,

As long as your PC does have the slot i mentioned there isn't really any restrictions. If you're after hardcore gaming i'd definitely push up the RAM, go at least 2gb minimum (3/4 recommended) and then look at upgrading your CPU to a dual or quad core piece. The CPU upgrade is fairly simple, getting the seating and heating right is the only bit that might catch you out. I'd say go down you're local PC shop and ask them about it, yea.

Or, obviously, we'll all be more than happy to help

sure, i might go down to the store and just ask them where everything is in the computer. i have taken apart my wii before, right down to the motherboard, and cleaned everything, so i will be probably be able to change the cpu.

otherwise, thanks so much for your help. :)

The reality is that your cpu is way too slow, your power supply is lacking (based on these specs: http://cgi.ebay.com/AM1610-U1201A-A...temQQimsxZ20090323?IMSfp=TL090323136005r33780. is that kinda've like your computer?) If your computer is actually a micro tower than i think that a 9600gt would be way to long for your comp. Also your motherboard is probably dated and wont support any cpu over 2.6ghz, the ram is probably limited to a slow speed, so any graphic card you get will be bottlenecked completely by your other components.

i dont get why other members are making you think youll pull off crysis or even doom 3 on your comp. Your better off getting a 9500gt and sticking to valve and older generation games

yeah from the looks of it a 9600 wouldnt fit so do like prodigy said and get like a lower end 9000 series card the only downside it wont run games like a 9600gt

no no, thats not my computer at all. sure, it looks like that, but it's definately not a micro tower.

and i would look up the motherboard info, but at the moment i don't have a monitor yet. so when i get one i'll let you guys know.

anyway, thanks for helping me out so farr

Your better off getting a 9500gt and sticking to valve and older generation games
I have an 8600GTS and Crysis runs absolutely fine with everything on high except for shadows. But yeah, that CPU would struggle with Crysis I'd say.

Back
Top Bottom